Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop Safari from auto-filling a password?

I don't want Safari to auto-fill my login details at my bank. But when I open the passwords window, and am about to remove it, it says that by removing it, it will also remove the password from my iCloud Keychain on all my devices! I don't want it removed, cause then I won't be able to look it up when I want to log in, why is this how it works, and is there any way to fix it, so I can just stop Safari from autofilling it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 4:43 AM

Go to Preferences in Safari and then click the 'Auto-Fill' tab. There you can select which info will be auto filled. Unchecking'Usernames and Passwords' there should yield the result you are looking for.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 11, 2022 10:35 PM in response to apfelkopf

No, you can have passwords not auto-filled on certain sites, as I do have that. However, it apparently looks as if you can only do that, when you first log in to a site, as Safari asks if you want it saved to auto-fill. I actually think I did choose to not have it saved, but Safari ignored my selection.

I may try to see what happens if I delete the password, then re-enter it into my keychain, then log in to the site, and say no, when asked about saving it. Hopefully, it will not be saved by Safari.

Jul 17, 2022 11:52 AM in response to apfelkopf

I've had credit cards from this bank for 20 years, and it's never auto-filled passwords on its own. I suspect Safari either failed to ask, or I somehow didn't hit the "never save" option. I guess I just have to delete it from the Safari saved passwords, and re-enter it in my keychain. It's pretty nonsensical I can't just delete it from Safari, without it automatically being removed from the keychain... but that's Apple, always making extra steps for us take.

Jul 17, 2022 11:57 AM in response to Saxman

Have you tried the solution I suggested? If the password is already entered when you open a specific website, it's more than likely because it was saved on the website itself, like clicking a 'remember me' link on said website. In my experience, Safari always asks before entering log-in information and it's not entered automatically without some sort of user interaction.

How do I stop Safari from auto-filling a password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.