Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes/Music app re-sorting an album when I move it to playlist

I've seen threads on this, but what worked for others isn't working for me, so here goes...

When I look at Fiona Apple's "Fetch the Bolt Cutters" album in my library the songs are all in the correct order - track 6, ("Rack of His") is between 5 ("Relay") and 7 ("Newspaper"). When I move the album to a playlist, it takes track 6 and puts it in between 10 and 11. I checked the "sort album," "sort artist," and "disc number" views. That isn't the problem. It's still moving that one song out of order, and then of course that's the way the album plays in those playlists.

If I select the album by itself and outside of a playlist, it plays the songs in the correct order.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:50 PM

Ah, then every track from the album needs the same value for Album Artist (or Artist if Album Artist is blank), Album, and Year. As noted sort values and disc numbers need to be consistent across the album. Since you haven't already mentioned it I would suspect the discrepancy is in the Year field.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 12, 2021 3:05 PM in response to turingtest2

This is interesting...Album Artist was blank for my entire Fiona Apple library, though all other albums were sequenced correctly. I entered her as Album Artist for all of her songs and suddenly "Rack of His" was in the right place.

Thanks for your help! Do you think it's important to have the Album Artist field populated for everything? I usually only use it when there's a duet or featured artist and I want the tag to reflect that - for example, "Whitney Houston & George Michael" from a Whitney Houston album.

iTunes/Music app re-sorting an album when I move it to playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.