Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Catalina

I am running macOS 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro early 2013.

Each time I attempt to upgrade, the process starts with "Downloading 8+ G."

Once that finishes, immediately after starting the upgrade process it throws an error:

"An error occurred while running scripts from the package: RecoveryHDMetaDmg.pkg.

An error occurred installing the selected updates."

I think this may be an indication that my early 2013 MacBook may not have the architecture to support Catalina.

Is that the problem? If so, what are the alternatives to buying a new Mac? Currently everything is running fine on Mojave.

Thanks,

Claude Crider

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:44 PM

Your MacBook Pro from 2013 can definitely upgrade to macOS Catalina.

When downloading from Apples Servers it is recommended to be connected to your router via cable.

Do not use the mac while it is downloading or any other devices that share the same internet connection.

Open your Applications folder and move Install macOS Catalina.app to the Trash empty the Trash.

Restart your mac and try to download the Catalina installer again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 8:44 PM in response to Claude Crider

Your MacBook Pro from 2013 can definitely upgrade to macOS Catalina.

When downloading from Apples Servers it is recommended to be connected to your router via cable.

Do not use the mac while it is downloading or any other devices that share the same internet connection.

Open your Applications folder and move Install macOS Catalina.app to the Trash empty the Trash.

Restart your mac and try to download the Catalina installer again.

Feb 13, 2021 4:06 PM in response to Claude Crider

Before you upgraded to macOS Catalina you should have done the research on how your

third party apps would be affected.

Check third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Catalina does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

Macs do not need anti-virus protection, there are no viruses that attack the mac.

If you have such software installed get instructions on how to uninstall it from the apps

developers. AV apps and any cleaning or optimisation apps are not necessary, they can

interfere with the macs own built in protection and disk management.

Often these apps will flag up files that you may be encouraged to delete, these files can be

needed system files. All these apps do is working the background using up resources

and slow your mac down.

You should read this article,

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Feb 13, 2021 10:51 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Using this reply I was able to upgrade. Thanks! The actual root cause was that I had not installed all of the Mojave updates. Once I did that the upgrade succeeded.

The upgrade made several of my apps quit working. The most concerning is Symantec/Norton. I apparently now have no virus protection. Would you please be so kind as to suggest an alternative? Or should I open another discussion?

Thanks, Claude

Upgrading to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.