You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage when running a software update

I have used 63GB out of my iPhone’s 64GB storage. There is not enough memory free to be able to run an update. However, I could delete a few apps and then run the update through iTunes. Once I have ran the update will I still have the same amount of space available or will the update use up the remaining available space?

I would try to just create more space if I could but I’ve deleted all the apps I don’t use and I’ve noticed that when I delete photos the storage for photos goes down but the ‘Other’ storage goes up. So no matter how many photos I delete I’m still left with 63GB of storage used. Other storage is over 14GB now. There is likely a problem somewhere but I’d like to rectify it without having to resort to resetting the phone and deleting all my stuff. I’m hoping that if I can get it down a little bit by deleting some more apps I could run a software update and that may correct the issue.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thank you.

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 9:11 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 12, 2021 2:16 PM in response to deggie

I tried to run the update through iTunes but it failed. I was present with an error message (4000) after it backup up my phone and attempted the software update. I’m now considering erasing all content from the phone, installing the latest update manually and then restoring the phone from what is backed up on iTunes. I’m hoping that the problem will not copy itself back over to my phone when I do that though.

Storage when running a software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.