Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic will not synchroise with imac

I returned my old iPod Classic to Apple Plymouth UK and bought a reconditioned one. But it will not synchronise with my iMac - it gets no further than "software loading". Apple Support say they no longer support that old software (great considering Apple sold me this 2 months ago!)

iPod Classic

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 4:57 PM

Ideally the max. temp isn't supposed to exceed 50c but not too bad. The pending sector could cause a problem if it contains any critical data like a folder. It ought to be possible to restore or reformat the device to clear that up. Not really ideal to have a refurbished device with a problem out of the box but if you can get that pending sector cleared up it could be fine. You might try the DFU restore method or reformatting the device with Disk Utility and then seeing if you can restore it in Finder.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 4:57 PM in response to Bluegallileo

Ideally the max. temp isn't supposed to exceed 50c but not too bad. The pending sector could cause a problem if it contains any critical data like a folder. It ought to be possible to restore or reformat the device to clear that up. Not really ideal to have a refurbished device with a problem out of the box but if you can get that pending sector cleared up it could be fine. You might try the DFU restore method or reformatting the device with Disk Utility and then seeing if you can restore it in Finder.

tt2

Feb 12, 2021 12:44 PM in response to Bluegallileo

Diagnostics mode on the classic doesn't require a computer. The blue text in my post is a link where you'll find the details in the section Check your iPod with Diagnostics Mode. iPod classics are supplied formatted for Windows. I found that Catalina didn't like my classic unless I had it reformatted for Mac. Oddly Big Sur seems to be OK with either format. You may need to restore your iPod on another computer, but I'd like to run through the stats just in case you've been sold a lemon that you need to return immediately.

tt2

Feb 12, 2021 3:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks very much for your help. I followed that and ....

Retracts : 1

Reallocs : 0

Pending Sectors :1

Power on hours :126

Start/Stops : 13174

Temp : current 23c

Temp : min 2c

Temp : max 53c

As you probably know the iPod was empty when I got it recently (reconditioned by Apple). It looks like it was last owned in the Far East judging by the last time zone in settings - but probably not relevant.

ipod classic will not synchroise with imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.