Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine/Migration Assistant says "No Volumes"

My machine recently needed its motherboard replaced as the GPU died on it. When the tech rebuilt the machine they wiped the drive - which is fine, as I have time machine backups. But when I try and restore backups now via Recovery or Migration Assistant I get a "no volumes found" for my iMac. The version of macOS is the same (Catalina). When I browse the Time Machine I can see the sparsebundle and it's 2.1 TB so there is definitely something there.

How can I get my files back? Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 11:26 PM

I normally do my own restores. Costs extra for the tech to do it. I ended up fixing this by renaming backupbundle to sparsebundle and then Migration Assistant was able to see the backups. This is odd behavior but it worked.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 13, 2021 1:19 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Apple authorized service provider, they installed the latest Catalina, which is correct since its a 2012 iMac. Before the wipe, it was also Catalina 10.15.7 so backups should be the same.

When it lists no volumes what does that mean exactly - version difference or something else? I've found after they moved from sparse to backup bundles restoration has become touchy.

Time Machine/Migration Assistant says "No Volumes"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.