Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant doesn’t recover data from a recognized disk

Hello everyone,

I had some troubles with the installation of macOS Catalina, which forced me to erase the memory of my Mac and reinstall the Operative system using the menu which compares pressing cmd+option+R (the one with the globe). Now my iMac works and has installed Catalina, but I am not able to recover the backup from the hard disk. On the desktop the icon of the time machine disk compares as usual, but if I go in Recover Assistant, the app is not able to find the source. The backup goes back to when Mojave was installed. How can I do?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 9:46 AM

Hello Davide2001,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you reinstalled macOS in order to upgrade your Mac to macOS Catalina, and you're unable to restore your files using Migration Assistant.

In this instance, you may need to restore both macOS Mojave and your files, then upgrade to macOS Catalina again following the steps here:

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 9:46 AM in response to Davide2001

Hello Davide2001,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you reinstalled macOS in order to upgrade your Mac to macOS Catalina, and you're unable to restore your files using Migration Assistant.

In this instance, you may need to restore both macOS Mojave and your files, then upgrade to macOS Catalina again following the steps here:

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Take care.

Migration Assistant doesn’t recover data from a recognized disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.