Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I revert to Catalina from Monterey?

I have TWO questions re: issues migrating from Catalina to Monterey.

Some background:

I recently purchased a new MacBook pro silicon w/Monterey to replace my 2016 MacBook pro intel w/Catalina (originally w/Sierra).

In order to use Migration Assistant and copy my Time Machine info to the new MacBook, I was told I needed to upgrade the old MacBook running Catalina to Monterey, then back it up on TM. I did that.

I was able to migrate my files from my old TM/MacBook, and things seemed to have been working on the new, but today (2 days later) all my contacts and calendar items are missing on the new MacBook.

In the meantime, I've erased my old MacBook and re-installed a fresh Monterey OS for trade-in. :(

Now that the old MacBook has been erased/upgraded, it doesn't want to go backwards, and I'm having difficulty even restoring it to Sierra (it's original os) via internet recovery. If I Cmd+R, it only wants to install Monterey. If I Shift+Cmd+R, it appears to install Sierra, but it's never able to actually implement the older operating system, as it seems very confused and displays triangles and exclamation marks.

How can I restore my old MacBook? Can I use my old TM? I may have inadvertently deleted the Monterey backup folder. How can I tell what OS is backed up on it?

And... how do I copy my old time machine backups onto the new time machine? I tried connecting them both to my new computer and dragging and dropping, but it "prepared to copy files" for days and then just stopped. (Both are formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) w/ GUID partition.)

It's all a mess, and I'm at my wits end. Please help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 1:21 PM

You need to download Catalina, make a bootable installer with Catalina, then boot to Recovery, erase the startup disk and install Catinina.

How to download an older macOS version:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

How to create a bootable installer USB flash drive (16GB+)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Similar questions

2 replies

How do I revert to Catalina from Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.