Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wife and I share an icloud account. Is there a way to set up imessage on our Mac so that the messaging she does on the Mac does not also go to my iphone automatically? Without setting up a separate icloud account for me.

My wife and I share an icloud account. Is there a way to set up imessage on our Mac so that the messaging she does on the Mac does not also go to my iphone automatically? Without setting up a separate icloud account for me.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 1:57 PM

fosterfromca wrote:

Not if sharing an Apple ID. To Messages, you are the same person using 2 devices. Neither your Mac or phone can distinguish between you and your wife.

There really is no upside to sharing an Apple ID. Use Family Sharing to share most iTunes purchases.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201060

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2021 1:57 PM in response to fosterfromca

fosterfromca wrote:

Not if sharing an Apple ID. To Messages, you are the same person using 2 devices. Neither your Mac or phone can distinguish between you and your wife.

There really is no upside to sharing an Apple ID. Use Family Sharing to share most iTunes purchases.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201060

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.