Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will there be duplicate songs if I transfer my local music library to a new Mac?

I have a well curated, high bit rate music library on my old MacBook Pro. The collection is 300 gb and I use iTunes match and Apple music for access to my music on the iPhone and Macs I own with small hard disks. The music in my iCloud library is either matched (but at a lower bit rate) or uploaded at the high quality bit rate. I should also add that the old MacBook Pro is still running iTunes and my other Mac are all running Big Sur / Music.app.

I want to move the original local music from my old MacBook Pro to a new Mac that I just purchased. I worry that using migration assistant to transfer my music will result in song duplicates. Apple suggested that I download the music through Music.app, but this would result in downloading the matched files and not my 'original' CD rips.

Suggestions?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 4:47 PM

The suggested way of using Migration Assistant did not work; it produced duplicate songs.

Solution:

• On old MacBook Pro iTunes, Music > Preferences > Uncheck Sync Library
  • Filter Music Library on the new Mac by iCloud status and delete everything that is not Apple Music (ie: Matched or Uploaded) files. This will keep all of your Apple Music additions but remove anything that is using iTunes Match in iCloud
  • Attached old MacBook Pro Time Machine Backup to new Mac
  • In Music.app on the new Mac, File > Import
  • Navigate to the iTunes Media located in the directory that corresponds to the most recent backup.
  • Click import
  • Wait for Music.app to copy all of the music to the new Mac
  • Wait for Music.app to upload or match the music to iCloud

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2021 4:47 PM in response to JJPO_D

The suggested way of using Migration Assistant did not work; it produced duplicate songs.

Solution:

• On old MacBook Pro iTunes, Music > Preferences > Uncheck Sync Library
  • Filter Music Library on the new Mac by iCloud status and delete everything that is not Apple Music (ie: Matched or Uploaded) files. This will keep all of your Apple Music additions but remove anything that is using iTunes Match in iCloud
  • Attached old MacBook Pro Time Machine Backup to new Mac
  • In Music.app on the new Mac, File > Import
  • Navigate to the iTunes Media located in the directory that corresponds to the most recent backup.
  • Click import
  • Wait for Music.app to copy all of the music to the new Mac
  • Wait for Music.app to upload or match the music to iCloud

Will there be duplicate songs if I transfer my local music library to a new Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.