Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail in Big Sur, where are the arrows which show messages I've replied to and/or forwarded?

Hello everyone,

Updated my OS from Catalina to Big Sur (11.2). Things are a bit different, but one by one I'm figuring most out. But here's one I haven't yet, nor has searching helped.

Apple Mail used to have a little arrow icon next to messages that I had replied to. A slightly different arrow icon signified that I had forwarded a message. A nice added touch was that if I clicked on that arrow icon, Mail showed me the reply message I sent (or the forwarding message).

Question: where are those arrows that should be next to messages?

I've done some searching. Some have same problem, others say it all works fine and looks same as Apple Mail in Catalina with the arrows for replied-forwarded, but no one explains how to get it to work if it ain't.

Thanks,

-- JS

PS those 3 dots in the upper left corner of windows changed colors and despite playing with Accessibility settings, I can't get 'em right, either.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 1:47 AM

I think I figured out why your display looks different from mine: in System Preferences->Accessibility->Display, you seem to have enabled "increase contrast". Activating this (and setting Light Mode to match your settings) I get pretty much the same thing as you do. Turning "increase contrast" OFF it looks like this:

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 1:47 AM in response to jds91md

I think I figured out why your display looks different from mine: in System Preferences->Accessibility->Display, you seem to have enabled "increase contrast". Activating this (and setting Light Mode to match your settings) I get pretty much the same thing as you do. Turning "increase contrast" OFF it looks like this:

Feb 15, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hmmm, now the arrows have appeared! But they remain what I'll term "non-functional." First a screenshot...

That's the left edge of my messages panel (cut off last names for privacy) and you can see the arrows signifying that I replied to the message.

BUT the arrows are not "clickable". When clicked, they used to display my reply message. That was really useful. Now do I have to sift endlessly through my Sent mail folder?

thanks,

--JS

PS I'll go check out the color thing now.

Feb 15, 2021 2:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Here is what the three circle controls for every window now look like.

It used to be a crisper set of red, yellow, and green buttons (I think). Now they seem to have quite similar tones. I'm partially colorblind. The three dots used to be quite distinct. Now they all look similar, not identical, but similar enough that I have to look real close to appreciate that they are different. I found some interesting color shifting options in System Preferences with names of colorblindness schemes, but they didn't fix it. For the 15 months I've owned this MBP 16" (late 2019), the three dots were crisp primary color red, yellow, green. Primary colors I can usually tell apart!

-- JS

Feb 16, 2021 12:29 AM in response to jds91md

Try restarting, but AFAICR these color profile changes used to have effect immediately. I am not at my mac to check right now but will confirm later. Also I have never seen colors like these in the red, yellow, green buttons. What application was this screenshot from? Do they all have the same color and very prominent signs on them in all applications?

Apple Mail in Big Sur, where are the arrows which show messages I've replied to and/or forwarded?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.