Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having Mail highlight the earliest unread message

This question has been asked at least twice before, but both topics seem to be closed to further replies and suggest asking a new question, so here it is:

I have an iMac (21.5", 2019) and a new 14" MacBook Pro. The latter came with Ventura installed, so I upgraded the iMac to match (I had previously had Catalina on my old MacBook and the iMac). I am having annoyances with Mail on both computers.

In both cases I configured the message window to show the newest messages at the bottom, which is what I have been used to for decades.

But whenever I open the app, or move to view a different mailbox, it is the top (i.e., oldest) message that is highlighted. This is different from previous behavior, which was to automatically highlight and open the earliest unread message, at or near the bottom of the listing.

So I always have to begin by scrolling down to the bottom. This isn't onerous, of course, but after several weeks it's getting old, and it's not the way things used to work. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 12:08 PM

Rinaldo302 wrote:

This question has been asked at least twice before, but both topics seem to be closed to further replies and suggest asking a new question, so here it is:

I have an iMac (21.5", 2019) and a new 14" MacBook Pro. The latter came with Ventura installed, so I upgraded the iMac to match (I had previously had Catalina on my old MacBook and the iMac). I am having annoyances with Mail on both computers.

In both cases I configured the message window to show the newest messages at the bottom, which is what I have been used to for decades.

But whenever I open the app, or move to view a different mailbox, it is the top (i.e., oldest) message that is highlighted. This is different from previous behavior, which was to automatically highlight and open the earliest unread message, at or near the bottom of the listing.

So I always have to begin by scrolling down to the bottom. This isn't onerous, of course, but after several weeks it's getting old, and it's not the way things used to work. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

There a re two views in Mail.app

—old column view (layout)

—the newer 3-column view

see if one or the other works better of you...

Mail>View>Column Layout

if no resolve submit your Apple Feedback direct to the Product Team here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Rinaldo302

Rinaldo302 wrote:

There a re two views in Mail.app

—old column view (layout)

—the newer 3-column view

see if one or the other works better of you...

Mail>View>Column Layout

if no resolve submit your Apple Feedback direct to the Product Team here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Having Mail highlight the earliest unread message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.