Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't show most recent message at the top

I am using Apple Mail version 16.0 and macOS Ventura 13.0.1.

I would like to have the most recent message at the bottom. But somehow unchecking the button "Show most recent message at the top" does not do it.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 4:21 AM

If you are showing 'Date Received' as a column heading, just click that and it will change the sort back and forth from most recent at the top to the bottom. If you don't show 'Date Received' in the column heading, right click in the column heading bar where the columns of 'From', 'Subject', etc show and then click on 'Date Received'. At that point you can then change the sort order as you please. It acts like a toggle. So it can be changed back by clicking it again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 4:21 AM in response to puifais

If you are showing 'Date Received' as a column heading, just click that and it will change the sort back and forth from most recent at the top to the bottom. If you don't show 'Date Received' in the column heading, right click in the column heading bar where the columns of 'From', 'Subject', etc show and then click on 'Date Received'. At that point you can then change the sort order as you please. It acts like a toggle. So it can be changed back by clicking it again.

Jan 13, 2023 5:17 AM in response to puifais

puifais wrote:

I am using Apple Mail version 16.0 and macOS Ventura 13.0.1.

I would like to have the most recent message at the bottom. But somehow unchecking the button "Show most recent message at the top" does not do it.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

If you are using Column Layout, then see Randall's post.

My answer is in case you are not using Column Layout.

It is confusing... do you want to have most recent on top, or not?

If you want it, then you need to CHECK "Newest Message on Top".

But are talking about UNchecking... which is it?

Also, make sure that you have selected "Date" as the sort criterion.

Like this:

See:

Don't show most recent message at the top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.