Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail inbox opens to oldest message (Ventura 13.1, MacBook Pro M1 Pro)

(Ventura 13.1, MacBook Pro M1 Pro)

When I return to inbox after viewing another folder, it opens to the oldest message (at top of folder). I don't want to change the setting to "Show newest message at top". I'm used to the newest message showing at the bottom.

Is there a setting or fix for this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 2:45 PM

carl_kra wrote:

When I return to inbox after viewing another folder, #1 - it opens to the oldest message (at top of folder). I don't want to change the setting to "Show newest message at top". I'm used to the newest message showing at the bottom.

I'm confused. You say you want the newest email at the bottom and the oldest at the top. Isn't that what you've got?

Normal behavior is when opening any mailbox the top of the list is always shown, regardless of the sort order. That's why I have the newest at the top.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added to the system via Feedback - macOS - Apple.  

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 2:45 PM in response to carl_kra

carl_kra wrote:

When I return to inbox after viewing another folder, #1 - it opens to the oldest message (at top of folder). I don't want to change the setting to "Show newest message at top". I'm used to the newest message showing at the bottom.

I'm confused. You say you want the newest email at the bottom and the oldest at the top. Isn't that what you've got?

Normal behavior is when opening any mailbox the top of the list is always shown, regardless of the sort order. That's why I have the newest at the top.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added to the system via Feedback - macOS - Apple.  

Feb 4, 2023 5:19 PM in response to dialabrain

I have not had any problem choosing to have the newest messages on the bottom or top as I said above. There are two easy ways to do it in Apple mail as I pointed out above, and they both work fine. My issue is when I select to have the newest messages on the bottom, I want the inbox to open at the bottom. This has worked for me for decades, all the way from Eudora and Outlook to Apple Mail up until Catalina.

As I said, this is not a killer issue and I'll put the new messages on top if I have to. I was just surprised when it stopped working.

And I understand some people need to go to the oldest message first. If your job requires you to deal with and file every message you receive, you will likely need to do that in chronological order, oldest first. They should be able to do that too.

Feb 4, 2023 3:03 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad writes: "I'm confused. You say you want the newest email at the bottom and the oldest at the top. Isn't that what you've got? "

I'm not sure why you are confused. I never said my issue was the sort order, which is easy to change by clicking the top of the date column or in Mail settings. Since the mail app is always aware of the selected sort order, proper behaviour would be to open the folder positioned at the location of the newest messages as selected by the user, whether they are at the top or bottom.

This has never been a problem with earlier versions of Apple Mail or other mail apps such as the ones provided by the maker of that other well-known OS. I first started seeing it in Catalina. And I have alway had my newest messages at the bottom. If Apple insists I have to have them at the top, I can adapt, but I'd like to be able to choose my own layout if possible.

Mail inbox opens to oldest message (Ventura 13.1, MacBook Pro M1 Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.