Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charging issue: USB-C to Lightning Cable

I purchased an Apple brand USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m) in person from a local Apple Store along with a 61W USB-C Power Adapter to "fast charge" my iPhone Xs. I am experiencing the following issues and cannot find any answers:

1) When iPhone Xs is below 20% battery the 61W USB-C to Lightning charging method in a wall outlet typically charges for perhaps 1 second. I have to flip the cable 15+ times or just unplug and plug back in the cable to the phone numerous times before the charging continues. Normally, when I plug in the phone using this method I will come back later to find the charging stopped and the phone then dies! This doesn't typically happen when the phone has greater than 20% charge but sometimes this problem still happens regardless of battery status. Seem to have better luck getting the phone to start charging from 0% (device had powered down) status--but sometimes the phone will be plugged in and just remain dead! See the other notes listed below which make this situation very peculiar!

2) I have two MacBook Pros that will charge the iPhone Xs using the MacBooks USB-C port and then using the same USB-C to Lightning cable. So this appears to be strictly an issue with using a wall outlet.

3) I have tried turning on/off battery charging optimization setting--this seems to make no difference.

4) I went to an Apple Store and visited with an employee on this and they said the 61W adapter is "overkill" and that is the issue; however, the 61w clearly states you can use it with a USB-C to Lightning cable to charge an iPhone model 8 or later.

5) Once charging begins for Item #1 listed above and continues charging for greater than perhaps 20 seconds, then there is no issue as long as the cable is not disconnected. If you disconnect the cable I most likely have to repeat the repeated unplug then replug process another 15 times to get the phone to resume proper uninterrupted charging.

6) I have 3 apple brand 61W USB-C charging adapters. It doesn't matter which one I use--issue mentioned in #1 above always occurs.

7). This issue has occurred regardless of iOS updates.

8). no issues using the USB-C to lightweight cable to charge my iPad Pro.

Has anyone else had this issue and have any recommendations? I will probably buy another USB-C to lighting cable and see if the issue is replicated the same but I guess I want to hear from someone before I do that!

Thank you for any guidance or advice!

iPhone XS

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello,

Wow, it seems like that you've done a lot of work on this already. It agree that the 61W adapter should work. However, given all of your problems, it seems best if you just get this adapter:

20W USB-C Power Adapter - iPhone Accessories 

Good luck.

Similar questions

1 reply

charging issue: USB-C to Lightning Cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.