Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Import Selected" button doesn't work in iMovie for some files

I use iMovie to edit videos a LOT, and some of those videos have a still shot .pdf that I import as an information screen at the beginning or end of a video. For a long time I could import those files to the project no problem, but a few months ago it stopped working. The file names are not greyed out, I can select the file for import, but when I click on "Import Selected" nothing happens. No error message pops up, the Import window does not close. The blue button shows that I am clicking on it, but literally nothing happens.

I have been able to get around this by copying and pasting that media from other events, but I would like to stop doing that as I worry that it creates tangles in the library reference data (be kind if that's a stupid thing to say...I'm just guessing).

The event I'm trying to import to is named and has other video files in it. I am able to import some .pdf files but not all of them. Again, the files that I want to import are NOT greyed out, and appear to be available just like the others I CAN import.

Help!?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 10:25 AM

Check the little "Import to" box at the top of the import screen to make sure that you are looking in the correct destination location to find your imported pdf.

If still no luck, import your pdf by dragging it in instead of using the import window.

You might also try deleting preferences in case the issue is caused by a corrupt preference. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if the import window works correctly.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 10:25 AM in response to fenskelynch

Check the little "Import to" box at the top of the import screen to make sure that you are looking in the correct destination location to find your imported pdf.

If still no luck, import your pdf by dragging it in instead of using the import window.

You might also try deleting preferences in case the issue is caused by a corrupt preference. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if the import window works correctly.

-- Rich

"Import Selected" button doesn't work in iMovie for some files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.