Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage mixing up contacts / message threads

I am signed into my Apple ID on my personal iPhone, work iPhone, iPad, and iMac. All running the most recent iOS/iPadOS/macOS update.

Recently, some conversations in iMessage have gotten mixed up and don't show as being received from the correct contact. For example:

I have a 1:1 conversation with Fred, and another, separate 1:1 conversation with Molly. Since yesterday, new messages from Fred appear in the conversation with Molly, but it doesn't show Molly's name, only her (work landline) phone number. The previous message history with Fred has disappeared. This is happening on my iPad and work iPhone, but things all look normal on my personal iPhone and on my iMac.

What is going on? Can I restore the lost messages from Fred? And how can I separate back out the two conversations? I really don't want Molly getting messages for Fred or vice-versa!

Similar questions have been asked before - but a long time ago with earlier OS versions.

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 1:49 PM

Hi adrianclark1,

Thanks for reaching out through Apple Support Communities. We'd love to look into this unexpected Messages behavior with you and to help sort it out on all devices.

To ensure we're on the same page, let's ensure we understand exactly what's going on. Since older devices may not support more recent software updates, please let us know the exact software version installed on each device.

Are you using Messages in iCloud on each device? The following guide has more information about this feature:

Use Messages in iCloud

If this is enabled on each, let's also verify that the same phone number and Apple ID are selected for use with iMessages on each. This can be found under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive on your iPhone and iPad devices, and in the Preferences for the Messages app on your Mac.

Let us know if you've got any questions about the information in this guide:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Have a great day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 1:49 PM in response to adrianclark1

Hi adrianclark1,

Thanks for reaching out through Apple Support Communities. We'd love to look into this unexpected Messages behavior with you and to help sort it out on all devices.

To ensure we're on the same page, let's ensure we understand exactly what's going on. Since older devices may not support more recent software updates, please let us know the exact software version installed on each device.

Are you using Messages in iCloud on each device? The following guide has more information about this feature:

Use Messages in iCloud

If this is enabled on each, let's also verify that the same phone number and Apple ID are selected for use with iMessages on each. This can be found under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive on your iPhone and iPad devices, and in the Preferences for the Messages app on your Mac.

Let us know if you've got any questions about the information in this guide:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Have a great day!

iMessage mixing up contacts / message threads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.