Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

approved Virus cleaner and protector for Mac?

While using Google Chrome on my Mac, I constantly get redirected to marquis or bing. It is annoying and troublesome. Sometimes, it will close out all of my tabs that I have opened with Chrome-especially my email addresses and I have to log-on again on each of them. I have repeatedly done the fix where I reset my settings. That worked for a while but now, each time I try and open a new tab, marquis appears rather than my default browser which is Chrome. I am looking to discover an approved program to prevent and rid my computer of this problem.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 1:17 PM

6 replies

Feb 16, 2021 1:39 PM in response to janel196

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior and make Mac OS appear buggy.

You will find most experienced users completely agree with my assessment.

approved Virus cleaner and protector for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.