Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for desktop won't download songs

This problem has only arisen recently, but iTunes refuses to download anything new. I have an apple music subscription, and downloads still work on my phone. Whenever I try to download a new song, or heck, even play a new song, nothing happens. Eventually I get the error "There was a problem downloading (song name). The network connection was reset". On the very rare occasion I can download one single song, but the problem is I'm trying to download a bunch of songs. Multiple albums in fact. I have been googling for weeks a solution to this problem, and every single response from apples team of "experts" boils down to "check if your device is connected to the internet". Gee, I hadn't thought of that! How about you guys actually make yourselves useful and provide some actual tech support. My grandmother would know to check if the internet is connected, so do not try to play games with me.

Other things I've tried:

Reinstalling the program, both through the Windows store and the normal .exe

Disabling my firewall

Resetting my internet

Switching to a new network

Using ethernet

Give me something Apple. Spotify is looking super attractive right about now. Your service on anything other than an apple product is less than satisfactory.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 11:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 4:01 PM

This problem has persisted for weeks so I have shut my computer off multiple times, not just restarted. Like I said I have rebooted my router. Clock and region are set correctly, no VPN, no antivirus other than Windows Defender, which I shut off and still no luck. Safe mode doesn't even let me attempt to download songs, I reset the cache, I shut off simultaneous downloads.

Still nothing.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 4:01 PM in response to turingtest2

This problem has persisted for weeks so I have shut my computer off multiple times, not just restarted. Like I said I have rebooted my router. Clock and region are set correctly, no VPN, no antivirus other than Windows Defender, which I shut off and still no luck. Safe mode doesn't even let me attempt to download songs, I reset the cache, I shut off simultaneous downloads.

Still nothing.

Feb 17, 2021 3:11 AM in response to JeyBerg

Reboot your router. Power off your computer and turn back on again rather than just restarting it. Check that your system clock and region are set correctly. Do you have any VPN software or third party anti-virus package? It may help to temporarily disable either of these. Press and hold down shift+ctrl when starting iTunes to open it in safe mode. Use Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Reset Cache. When downloading click the activity widget at the top right of the iTunes window and turn off the option for simultaneous downloads. Any improvement?

tt2

iTunes for desktop won't download songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.