Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I limit what drives I am sharing in File Sharing?

I have an external drive that I want to share on our LAN. I have enabled File Sharing in System Preferences and I have added the drive to the Shared Folders area. For users I have added my own account, Staff, and Everyone. On another local Mac I am able to login with my account, but then I see everything on my Mac, including the external drive. I do not want this. I want to just share this external drive.

I tried setting up a new user through the Sharing preferences and set the password. Set the permissions for this user to Read & Write. I try logging in on the other Mac, and the password is not accepted.

I did this with another user, and the password was still not accepted.

I tried creating a new Group, added these 2 new users to the group, and then added the Group to the Users area in the Sharing preferences. No luck.

I click on Options in the Sharing preference pane and try turning on Windows File Sharing for these 2 new users. It won't accept the passwords I set.... I have also enabled Guest access on this shared external drive, but logging in as Guest on the other Mac does not work. The other Mac is an older iMac running High Sierra.

I am stumped. Does this not work on Big Sur? Or is the problem High Sierra/? Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 3:35 PM

File sharing is really just logging into the Mac remotely. When you log in via File Sharing, you have the same access as you would if logged into the Mac directly.

You can create Sharing Only users to allow people to log in and only have access to the things to which you give them access.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 18, 2021 6:55 AM in response to Colin_Cygnet

I would also not share the drive itself, but folders inside the drive. That makes it easier to control who has access to the individual parts. However, all those users need read access to the drive itself in order to see the folders they are given access.

That does allow them to see the other folders to which they don't have access, but they won't be able to access what is inside of them.

How can I limit what drives I am sharing in File Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.