Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

sharing over SMB

When sharing with Windows PC, and virtual machines, it seems in Ventura, full read/write access to ANY drive overrides the specific folders/volumes set when Firewall is "disabled"

That is, when Firewall is "Disabled" all I need is to check SMB for the account on a Mac as as long as "public folder" has full read\write acccess (set by default), then its not just public folder i have access to, its my enite network, including full access to external drives attached. (and i acess as Administrator.. not sure if that is the "reason" but anyway)

When Firewall it enabled, it works as expected. I only have access to the folders set in Sharing. I don't seem to rember this "by design" in Big Sur, did Apple change something ??

If so, i would still say its a security issue, not by the fact Administrators have access tio everything anyway, but by the fact its the specific folders/volumes are NOT listed in Sharing (as the issue)

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 11:12 AM

The useless application firewall is doing exactly what it was designed to do, just get in your way.

The sharing permissions do not affect the user accounts on the Mac, only other accounts, like a sharing only user.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 1, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

Even to the point it overrides the sharing permissions? Then how come external drive is not shown when Firewall is enabled but i can only access Public folder and root as in sharing pane ?

I get admin has full rights but if that were true then shouldn't external drive be showing as well, regardless of Firewall status on Mac, specially ?

sharing over SMB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.