Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility check exit code is 8. Macbook randomly shuts off every so often.

Hi everyone.

My computer shuts off randomly every so often. The progress bar loads all the way then my computer shuts down. I was able to log back in to my computer is by entering single user mode and typing the following command:

/sbin/mount -uw /

exit

I ran first aid on disk utility and received back the following code:

Invalid node structure.

Catalog file entry not found for extent

The volume could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 8.

Operation successful.

Any ideas on how I can fix my computer? I am not sure if this due to the battery, OSX, or hard drive. These are my guesses. I was lucky I managed to get back in my computer and save everything but I am not sure what the underlying issues are.

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 5:57 PM

Hi wjenn,

Thanks for the details and screenshots. Your Mac's filesystem appears to be corrupt. Alsoft's DiskWarrior 5 may be able to successfully repair it, although it is costly software.

I'm guessing that the most likely cause of the damage was the Mac unexpectedly powering off, or being forced to power off while files were being written.

If you want to fix your filesystem for free, make sure you have a Time Machine backup, then erase your Mac and reinstall macOS. Erasing your Mac reformats the internal drive and creates a new, healthy filesystem. Once you've reinstalled macOS, use Setup Assistant to restore your data from the Time Machine backup.

If your computer continues to unexpectedly power off, it's likely an issue with the battery. You can try running Apple Hardware Test; however it has been replaced with Apple Diagnostics and I'm not sure that the old AHT is still available. To try, restart your Mac while holding down the D key (or Option-D to download the test software from the internet).

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 5:57 PM in response to wjennn

Hi wjenn,

Thanks for the details and screenshots. Your Mac's filesystem appears to be corrupt. Alsoft's DiskWarrior 5 may be able to successfully repair it, although it is costly software.

I'm guessing that the most likely cause of the damage was the Mac unexpectedly powering off, or being forced to power off while files were being written.

If you want to fix your filesystem for free, make sure you have a Time Machine backup, then erase your Mac and reinstall macOS. Erasing your Mac reformats the internal drive and creates a new, healthy filesystem. Once you've reinstalled macOS, use Setup Assistant to restore your data from the Time Machine backup.

If your computer continues to unexpectedly power off, it's likely an issue with the battery. You can try running Apple Hardware Test; however it has been replaced with Apple Diagnostics and I'm not sure that the old AHT is still available. To try, restart your Mac while holding down the D key (or Option-D to download the test software from the internet).

Disk Utility check exit code is 8. Macbook randomly shuts off every so often.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.