Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Refurbished or New

I purchased my unlocked brand new malfunctioning iPhone 12pro at full prices. Since it was a mission to get and try initially I kept it for a week. But after leaving me stranded for ours relying on it for GPS on road trip between cities, I called apple to swap with a new phone.

I should get a new phone because I bought it brand new, unlocked and paid full price for two devices. Both have been defective. I googled how to check is phone replacement is refurbished or new and the serial number starts with N which means replacement phone.

my interpretation of the N, is they sent me a refurbished unit. After selling be a defective one. Would I be correct in assuming this replacement is refurbished and if so, does any have escalation info for apple customer service?

it’s not right to get a used item when you bought a brand new product and it was defective from the start and apple gets away with sending a refurbished unit, simply because COVID has made it almost impossible to get into an apple store.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Btw, I also purchased the full apple care at time of purchase for both phones. So it was a significant investment, only to receive a two defective products.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 8:09 AM

Actually, the terms of your warranty do NOT guarantee you get a new device for your used device. You should get a like-new and certainly fully properly functioning device, but nothing guarantees you a retail new replacement device.

So the warranty terms simply say you may get a new device, a repaired device or a service replacement device, at Apple’s discretion as needed to get you back a properly working device. I’ve actually never heard of a consumer electronics warranty that guarantees replacement devices will be retail new devices. You device is a used device, whether you’ve had it for a day, a week, a month or a year, so it’s value is certainly not that of a true retail new device. And many if it’s parts will still be perfectly serviceable and recoverable by Apple’s OEM to repair units to put into the service unit supply line.

Not to mention that replacing used with new would be environmentally needless, just throwing away perfectly good parts and materials, it would also be a financial recipe for failure for consumer electronics companies.

Legal - Hardware Warranties - Apple

WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?

If during the Warranty Period you submit a claim to Apple or an AASP in accordance with this warranty, Apple will, at its option:

(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability,

(ii) replace the Apple Product with the same model (or with your consent a product that has similar functionality) formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or 

(iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.“

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 8:09 AM in response to brazilianmage

Actually, the terms of your warranty do NOT guarantee you get a new device for your used device. You should get a like-new and certainly fully properly functioning device, but nothing guarantees you a retail new replacement device.

So the warranty terms simply say you may get a new device, a repaired device or a service replacement device, at Apple’s discretion as needed to get you back a properly working device. I’ve actually never heard of a consumer electronics warranty that guarantees replacement devices will be retail new devices. You device is a used device, whether you’ve had it for a day, a week, a month or a year, so it’s value is certainly not that of a true retail new device. And many if it’s parts will still be perfectly serviceable and recoverable by Apple’s OEM to repair units to put into the service unit supply line.

Not to mention that replacing used with new would be environmentally needless, just throwing away perfectly good parts and materials, it would also be a financial recipe for failure for consumer electronics companies.

Legal - Hardware Warranties - Apple

WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?

If during the Warranty Period you submit a claim to Apple or an AASP in accordance with this warranty, Apple will, at its option:

(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability,

(ii) replace the Apple Product with the same model (or with your consent a product that has similar functionality) formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or 

(iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.“

Feb 20, 2021 6:30 AM in response to stedman1

Thanks Stedman1...

I started researching it after your post and you are right. It’s a new phone with the N designation as a tracking method to show the phone was replaced under my policy.

That made all the difference since I was not happy with purchasing a new product that happened to be defective and then feeling as if Apple gave me a refurbished phone instead of replacing it with a new one.

The difference being in my case had the retail locations been open. I would have done a full return and then been given a new phone replacement from the store that would not have triggered the Apple care to be used. Thus sending a phone in my case that is new but with the N designation to show that it was replaced.

iPhone Refurbished or New

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.