Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App is not compatible with this ipad?

I am a new user to Apple products, my Apple ID is totally new, no old purchases.

I purchased an old iPad which has an iOS 9.3.5. It says "Your software is up to date". Means no more software updates for this device.

So when I try to download any application, say Youtube, Facebook, Netflix, or any other. It says the app is not compatible with this iPad. I tried to buy it on the iTunes software on my Dell Laptop, but the purchase button is grayed out, and says iOS app store only. How can I solve this?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 5:52 AM

This is probably because the software on your iPad is too old to support the apps you download.

Many apps today are only supported from iOS10 +

Sometimes you can be lucky that the App Store offers an older version that matches the iOS version you are on. In that case, it will happen when trying to download.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 5:52 AM in response to arhamaamirawan

This is probably because the software on your iPad is too old to support the apps you download.

Many apps today are only supported from iOS10 +

Sometimes you can be lucky that the App Store offers an older version that matches the iOS version you are on. In that case, it will happen when trying to download.

Feb 18, 2021 6:05 AM in response to arhamaamirawan

Regrettably, you have purchased an obsolete model of iPad...

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for these models in September 2016. Your iPad cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed; these are 32-bit architecture devices, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms. iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 are all obsolete.

You may wish to consider that compatible Apps for your iPad are increasingly difficult to find - as third-party developers are increasingly dropping support for older versions of iOS preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or install them - which may severely limit the usefulness and utility of your iPad. As such, if you want or need to access most current Apps, requiring more recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model.

Of current models, even the entry-level iPad8 has specifications and capabilities that will massively outperform you current iPad - and is compatible with the vast majority of current Apps. Other models are more powerful still.

I hope this information provides helpful and succinct clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your current iPad.

Feb 18, 2021 2:12 PM in response to arhamaamirawan

You purchased an almost 10-year old iPad.

If you want to attempt to use this iPad, instead of simply returning it, geting your money back and purchasing a new or much, MUCH newer, used iPad Model.

To start, I would NOT use that over 4-year old default iOS Safari Web browser is too old, not secure and not safe to use to access the Internet, any longer.

There are virtually NO MORE third party Web browsers left for 8-10 year old iPads!

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are pretty much GONE, now.

If you must use these old iPad models, here is what is left for still updated Web browsers in the iOS App Store.

Pickins’ are slim, now!

ALook Web browser ( A fairly new Web browser primarily designed for old iOS device versions, but is still available to newer iOS/iPadOS devices, as well )

Dolphin Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

TOR private browser

TOR + VPN private browser

Turbo VPN private browser

This is pretty much it for iOS 9/10 compatible, third party Web browsers today.

For YouTube, you would need to use that newer Web browser to access the actual YouTube Website, instead.

The YouTube app is just portal for the actual YouTube Website, anyways.

The same maybe applicable to FaceBook.

Netflix has compatible apps that go all the way back to iOS 5.1.1.

There is one last thing you can try/attempt, if you need an older version of an app for that 10-year old iPad.

If you own much newer iOS device that can run either iOS 12 and.or iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, you can install the most recent app/s onto that more recent iOS device.

Then go back to your older iPad, open the iOS App Store, go to the Purchases section of the store app, search for the app/s you wish to try and download to that older iPad and see if an older version of the app is allowed to be downloaded/installed to that older iPad.

These newer iOS/iPadOS devices must use your same Apple ID user account and password.

Failing that OR IF NO joy, then there is nothing more to be done.

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices well over 4 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer!

None!

This is an old and obsolete iPad.

It's 2021 now!

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a purchase of a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, used iPad models, from better known, trusted Apple product/device retailers/resellers, locally or online, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

App is not compatible with this ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.