Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express "device not found"

I have an AE1392 using firmware 7.8.1 and I get "device not found" on Airport Utility on a daily basis. I power off and on and all is green for up to 8 hours, then I get "device not found" again. I use the AE to stream music from iPhone to stereo using the "join a network" route. I have tried all 3 types of resets, but none have changed the basic problem. I have also tried "Link-local" for Config IPv6 and "Static" for Connect using DHCP per suggestions from various troubleshooting websites. Other suggestions?

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 8:19 AM

Are you using AirPort Utility on a Mac laptop to look at the AirPort Express or AirPort Utility on an iPhone?

We ask because you can use the Mac to check the quality of signal arriving at the Express. (The "bars" are useless as far as determining actual signal quality.)

If the WiFi signal-to-noise numbers check out OK, the next step would be to roll back the firmware on the Express to 7.6.9 as a test to see if that helps. Neither 7.8 or 7.8.1 have been all that reliable.

If 7.6.9 seems to help, try moving back to 7.8.1 again.

If still no help, you'll need to think about wiring the Express back to the main router using an Ethernet cable connection. I have had zero problems with Expresses that are wired. Always had "iffy" reliability with wireless connections to the Express.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Grogu1234

Are you using AirPort Utility on a Mac laptop to look at the AirPort Express or AirPort Utility on an iPhone?

We ask because you can use the Mac to check the quality of signal arriving at the Express. (The "bars" are useless as far as determining actual signal quality.)

If the WiFi signal-to-noise numbers check out OK, the next step would be to roll back the firmware on the Express to 7.6.9 as a test to see if that helps. Neither 7.8 or 7.8.1 have been all that reliable.

If 7.6.9 seems to help, try moving back to 7.8.1 again.

If still no help, you'll need to think about wiring the Express back to the main router using an Ethernet cable connection. I have had zero problems with Expresses that are wired. Always had "iffy" reliability with wireless connections to the Express.

Feb 18, 2021 9:51 AM in response to Grogu1234

SNR of 25dB could be better. You want to see 30+ if possible to improve chances for a reasonably reliable connection. Even then, there are no guarantees.

Is the Express picking up a 2.4 GHz WiFi signal or 5 GHz signal? If it's 5 GHz, you may have better luck connecting to a 2.4 GHz signal, since it will very likely be stronger......and even possibly faster than a 5 GHz signal.

You probably don't want to hear it again, but in my experience nothing beats an Ethernet connection to the Express for reliability. Zero signal loss and no issues with interference from other WiFi sources. If you can't run the Ethernet cable, consider using a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters. Not as good as Ethernet, but almost always better than wireless.

7.6.9 firmware was not meant to be a permanent solution for your test, but if things work better on 7.6.9, then you know that 7.8 and 7.8.1 are suspect, as they have been for a number of users.....including me.

Feb 18, 2021 2:15 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I rechecked the SNR at the location of the AEx, RSSi was -50 dBm, Noise was still -92dMb, so I am getting about 40 dB with the 5Ghz band. With firmware rolled back to 7.6.9, I still have several "device not found" events shortly after Off/On with the AEx. I conclude that firmware is probably not the issue. Your comment "even then there are no guarantees" sounds like the best description. Maybe Apple should rename the Airport Express to something other than a name that implies wireless! I will look into the price of Ethernet Powerline adapters. Thanks again

Feb 24, 2021 2:59 PM in response to Bob Timmons

After a few days on the 2.4GHz wireless, the performance is much better. It may drop off "Device not found" occasionally, but it seems that when it happens, it will either recover by itself, or I can get it back by toggling between 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the MacBook wireless. Not sure why this is so, but not really concerned if it works. Thanks for your help!

Feb 24, 2021 3:52 PM in response to Grogu1234

2.4 GHz signals are much stronger than 5 GHz signals, so that has a lot to do with connection stability. 5 GHz really only works well when WiFi devices are in the same room or very close proximity to the router.

Signal speed is not really the issue anyway as long as the Express is receiving a WiFi signal of 20-30 Mbps or higher.

airport express "device not found"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.