Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 MacBook Air no longer wakes up LG 24MD4KL monitor

My 2018 MacBook Air no longer wakes up the LG 24MD4KL. monitor I bought from apple in July 2020. The monitor worked perfectly when I bought it, just as directed etc., but will no longer wake up when I open my Mac.

I've tried numerous fixes: resetting the Systems Control Manager, unplugging and replugging power in various sequences, updating the OS etc. etc. Obviously, there is no power button on the monitor and open the Mac is supposed turn it on.

LG website offers very little worthwhile help. This was an expensive monitor and I'd like to continue using it. Though it does appear that this is a persistent problem with the LG/Mac partnership.

What's the fix?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 1:42 PM

Hey there WFL195,

We'd like to help look into the issue with your LG monitor not waking as it did when waking your Mac.

Great job on trying a reset of the SMC!

As this started to occur recently, but you had no issues in the past with it working in this manner, we'd like to rule out some basics:

1. If you have another port on your Mac to test, it would be a good idea to confirm if the same thing occurs while using it with your monitor.
  2. If you have a compatible model, the latest version is macOS 11.2.1. However, this may not be necessary for your LG monitor to work in the manner in which it's been working up until now. That being said, we still recommend making sure you have the latest version for your currently installed OS version, which we see is macOS 10.14(the latest for your current version is macOS 10.14.6). You can verify the version number installed by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. Here's how to first Back up your Mac with Time Machine, and afterwards, here's How to update the software on your Mac.
  3. While you may not be able to test for this, we recommend testing your LG monitor while connected to another Mac if possible.
  4. It would be a good idea to also make sure you have the latest software/driver(if needed) from LG. While you mentioned already visiting their website, you may need to contact their support in order to find the steps for doing this. We believe to have found their support website: Get Product Help and Support We see that by hovering your mouse over the 'Support' heading near the top right, we see several options under 'Contact Us'.

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 1:42 PM in response to WFL195

Hey there WFL195,

We'd like to help look into the issue with your LG monitor not waking as it did when waking your Mac.

Great job on trying a reset of the SMC!

As this started to occur recently, but you had no issues in the past with it working in this manner, we'd like to rule out some basics:

1. If you have another port on your Mac to test, it would be a good idea to confirm if the same thing occurs while using it with your monitor.
  2. If you have a compatible model, the latest version is macOS 11.2.1. However, this may not be necessary for your LG monitor to work in the manner in which it's been working up until now. That being said, we still recommend making sure you have the latest version for your currently installed OS version, which we see is macOS 10.14(the latest for your current version is macOS 10.14.6). You can verify the version number installed by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. Here's how to first Back up your Mac with Time Machine, and afterwards, here's How to update the software on your Mac.
  3. While you may not be able to test for this, we recommend testing your LG monitor while connected to another Mac if possible.
  4. It would be a good idea to also make sure you have the latest software/driver(if needed) from LG. While you mentioned already visiting their website, you may need to contact their support in order to find the steps for doing this. We believe to have found their support website: Get Product Help and Support We see that by hovering your mouse over the 'Support' heading near the top right, we see several options under 'Contact Us'.

Take care!

2018 MacBook Air no longer wakes up LG 24MD4KL monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.