Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use MacBook Pro’s charger for iPad Air.

Hello Apple Enthusiasts,

I recently bought iPad Air, can I charge it with my MacBook Pro’s charger? Please suggest

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 2:10 AM

Yes, you can use your MacBook Pro USB Power Adapter.

Whilst your iPad will not be able to charge at the full rated power output of the Power Adapter, the iPad will charge at its maximum supported rate.

USB charging/voltage standards have moved-on considerably from those of just a few years ago. Your iPad Air4, in common with most of the more recent models, supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD).

USB-PD has a number of “profiles”. When connecting devices, the load (iPad) negotiates is power requirements with the source (Power Adapter); this negotiation matches the power needs of the load with the capabilities of the source.

Your iPad supports charging via a standard USB Power Adapter, with a USB Type-A connection, at 12W (2.4A @5V).

By contrast, when connected to a USB-PD compliant Charger, with a USB-C connection (such as your Mac Power Adapter), your iPad supports charging at 18W (1.5A @12V).

So, in conclusion, you can use your Mac Power Adapter with your iPad. Your iPad will charge at its 18W rate (1.5A @12V).

I hope this clarification and technical explanation is helpful to you.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 2:10 AM in response to PMG_

Yes, you can use your MacBook Pro USB Power Adapter.

Whilst your iPad will not be able to charge at the full rated power output of the Power Adapter, the iPad will charge at its maximum supported rate.

USB charging/voltage standards have moved-on considerably from those of just a few years ago. Your iPad Air4, in common with most of the more recent models, supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD).

USB-PD has a number of “profiles”. When connecting devices, the load (iPad) negotiates is power requirements with the source (Power Adapter); this negotiation matches the power needs of the load with the capabilities of the source.

Your iPad supports charging via a standard USB Power Adapter, with a USB Type-A connection, at 12W (2.4A @5V).

By contrast, when connected to a USB-PD compliant Charger, with a USB-C connection (such as your Mac Power Adapter), your iPad supports charging at 18W (1.5A @12V).

So, in conclusion, you can use your Mac Power Adapter with your iPad. Your iPad will charge at its 18W rate (1.5A @12V).

I hope this clarification and technical explanation is helpful to you.

Feb 19, 2021 12:15 AM in response to PMG_

usb-c means 5volt

watt = Volt * Amps

devices which charge pull the amount of Amps as it was build to no more

watt is a means of telling how many amps of current can be drawn of the charger before it's forced to lower the volts.

so if you find a 600Watt usb-c charger it would work as well the ipad would just not taking advantage of how much current the charger would be able to provide, sort of like if you have a stereo which can play really really loud, but you don't or a really fast car but you stay within the speed limit.

Can I use MacBook Pro’s charger for iPad Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.