Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what kind of cord or connection do i need to back up my mac book air? I have not done this before

what kind of cord or connection do i need to back up my mac book air? I have not done this before

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 9:12 AM

Hi Mary3400,

Good on you to back up your Mac!

It depends on how you where you want to back up to. The most common (and easiest) scenario is backing up to an external drive, in which case you'll likely need a USB-A to USB-C adapter, assuming that your MacBook Air was made in 2018 or later. (The external drive should come with its own cable for connecting the drive to USB-A.)

If you have the proper network setup for it, Time Machine also supports backing up to a network-attached storage drive, which can be done wirelessly or via Ethernet.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Mary3400

Hi Mary3400,

Good on you to back up your Mac!

It depends on how you where you want to back up to. The most common (and easiest) scenario is backing up to an external drive, in which case you'll likely need a USB-A to USB-C adapter, assuming that your MacBook Air was made in 2018 or later. (The external drive should come with its own cable for connecting the drive to USB-A.)

If you have the proper network setup for it, Time Machine also supports backing up to a network-attached storage drive, which can be done wirelessly or via Ethernet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.