Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook connecting to tv

I’m trying to connect ny macbook pro to my LG tv. I’m using an HDMI cable, and when connected the tv shows my desktop, but nothing else (no apps, no apple tv playing off my macbook etc). Any advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 1:09 PM

If you get any variation on desktop picture, your Mac I working as designed. But there are MANY options, so it may not be working as you intended. It sounds like you have invoked "Extended desktop", where the second display is concatenated along an edge to the built-in display, forming a larger extended desktop.

System preferences > Displays > arrangement ...

...will show you how your Mac thinks the displays are arranged, and you can change their placement to reflect the physical displays on your bench by dragging. then the mouse will move seamlessly across the boundary, and can drag a window all the way or part way across onto the other display.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 1:09 PM in response to LauraPJ1985

If you get any variation on desktop picture, your Mac I working as designed. But there are MANY options, so it may not be working as you intended. It sounds like you have invoked "Extended desktop", where the second display is concatenated along an edge to the built-in display, forming a larger extended desktop.

System preferences > Displays > arrangement ...

...will show you how your Mac thinks the displays are arranged, and you can change their placement to reflect the physical displays on your bench by dragging. then the mouse will move seamlessly across the boundary, and can drag a window all the way or part way across onto the other display.

Macbook connecting to tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.