Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail send mail not working

I am unable to send gmail from my iPhone. Receiving works fine. Getting an error related to smtp connection failure. It’s been happening since about a month. Tried to restart phone, delete and add mail account etc. nothing worked. Any help is appropriated.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 7:06 AM

Hi Kpseshu,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today sending Gmail on your iPhone. It sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already.

Have you seen: If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Typically removing and adding the account will resolve an issue like this. Did you follow:

"Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
  2. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again."

Have you tested sending Gmail elsewhere like the webmail portal?

If you can send mail elsewhere, try removing the account again and also delete the Mail app: Remove apps from iPhone. Restart your iPhone, redownload Mail from the App Store and install Gmail again.

Let us know how that goes.

Have a fantastic day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Kpseshu

Hi Kpseshu,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today sending Gmail on your iPhone. It sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already.

Have you seen: If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Typically removing and adding the account will resolve an issue like this. Did you follow:

"Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
  2. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again."

Have you tested sending Gmail elsewhere like the webmail portal?

If you can send mail elsewhere, try removing the account again and also delete the Mail app: Remove apps from iPhone. Restart your iPhone, redownload Mail from the App Store and install Gmail again.

Let us know how that goes.

Have a fantastic day!

Feb 24, 2021 7:58 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Thanks Michael for coming back with few more suggestions. I did reboot my router several times. And I do have MacBook Pro where I use "Mail App" for my gmail and it works fine there. It's just happening with my iPhone X Mail App (iOS 14.3) + gmail combination only. You are right it's nothing to do with iPhone as such but could be the connectivity from gmail smtp server. BTW, it used to work until a month ago. The problem started happening may be after my recent iOS upgrade which I did a month ago.

Feb 24, 2021 5:59 AM in response to Kpseshu

Kpseshu,

If it's only happening with your router, try restarting it. If it keeps happening, contact the manufacturer. An update may be required.

You can also test with the iOS Gmail app: Gmail - Email by Googl‪e.

Test another iOS device on your network would also help isolating the issue.

You can also visit Get Support for a deeper dive if the issue keeps happening with all Wi-Fi networks.

Best of luck!

Feb 24, 2021 5:43 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Thanks Michael for your suggestions. I see that gmail from my Mail app is not going out when I am on WiFi. Not sure what’s the issue here but send mail works fine from browser based gmail or any other mail vendor such as Outlook from Mail app even on WiFi.

My outbox becomes empty as soon as I turn off WiFi and use mobile network.

Hope Apple Mail App will solve these connectivity issues via different WiFi networks.

Gmail send mail not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.