Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cn you have two system photo libraries on different computers with one Apple ID?

can you have two system photo libraries on different computers with one Apple ID?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 2:40 PM

Is the external drive correctly set up for using with a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 2:40 PM in response to stephenfromoak harbor

Is the external drive correctly set up for using with a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Feb 20, 2021 3:17 PM in response to stephenfromoak harbor

It depends on what you are trying to do. But the answer is yes

If you are syncing everything with iCloud photos - then the two libraries will be synced and will contain all the same photos.

If you are not useing iCloud photos, then the two libraries will be independent just showing the pictures importing into that library.

You could even have one of the libraries synced with iCloud (and your other devices) and the one on the other computer not synced and therefore independent.

Feb 20, 2021 4:31 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you for that information. My problem is I have two computers and would like them both to sync with iCloud. Right now I have one computer with all my photos stored on an external drive that syncs well with iCloud. The preference is that it is the system photo library. the other computer is not syncing correctly ..it is also linked to icloud and listed as the system library but only shows ⅓ of the photos. I cannot turn off the iCloud either. not sure what to do at this point. more thoughts would be appreciated.

cn you have two system photo libraries on different computers with one Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.