Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE battery health

As reported in this forum previously, the saga of battery health percentage on my iPhone SE dropping consistently after every minor/major iOS updates and since its purchase nine months ago, continues. Note, the phone has been used lightly with no social networking, internet use, app use and only for phone calls and text messaging. Further, it has been properly maintained and appropriate good charging practices observed with no exposure to extreme heat or cold.

Blow is the chronological battery health degradations:

• 99% after only a month use and after an iOS update
  • 98% after three months use and update
  • 97% after five months and update
  • 96% after seven months and update
  • 94% after eight months and update to 13.7
  • 92% after 1 year, 2 months, and update to 14.0
  • 90% after 1 year, 2 months and update to 14.4

Sure enough as expected and reported previously, after updating iOS to 14.0 and later to 14.4 after about a week/2 weeks, the battery health dropped from 94% to 92% and 90% respectively.

Discussed in details and at length with several Apple Support to no avail. No solutions provided or offered, only tacit acknowledgements by some.

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 7:57 PM

10 replies

Feb 21, 2021 1:26 PM in response to edclange

Thank you for your reply. I am afraid however that you have missed my point detailed and documented in my post.

I draw your attention to those detail. The gist of the issue is:

after every and each iOS update, the battery health dropped. This is consistent and to me it suggest a perhaps there is correlation between the iOS and battery degradation on an older chip on this first generation SE phone.

Note, even two months of having a new phone and 100% battery health, after an update, the percentage suddenly dropped and it continued from there.

We all know battery health is dependent on many things, usage, extreme heat/cold exposure, etc. This not the case here. Of course you do not know my usage Habib. But as reported in earlier post, I use the phone sparingly, not social networking at all, just occasional phone called, texting and emails. I also look after my device and follow good battery charging practices.

to view the battery health dropping 10% (your observation) in over a year is too simplistic and ignores the main concern carefully documented and reported in my post. It is provided as a knowledge base (not a question) for users some of whom by the way have reported similar battery problems albeit on other newer type iPhones.

Feb 21, 2021 5:03 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Your assumption in “not charging as needed” could not be more incorrect.

in fact each time Apple Support checked the phone as recent as a week ago, and ran ‘battery diagnostics’ (as well as general diagnostics). They verified and pronounced the battery charging bro be correct and as prescribed, and found no issues.

i reiterate that my observation well documented has been that, following each iOS update, the battery health percentage consistently dropped a week or so later. Even one Apple technician at an Apple Store admitted as much to me that the older SE “chip set may not be able to keep with more robust iOS updates.”

i do not know you or your technical acumen but your assumption is quite astonishing.

Please no more reply post from you.

Mar 13, 2021 5:19 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Having read, understood and appreciated your logic and by the way I was aware of the degradation after 500 charge and limitation, I am nevertheless convinced there is a direct correlation of iOS updates and battery health, decline, assuming the reporting software is accurate. Referring to your explanation though, my drop in battery health percentages is not due to just after using the phone for a period of time. But instead it’s consistently just after every IOS updates. In fact it just dropped again upon updating to 14.4.1, a couple of days ago. Further, I was concerned at the outset how only after only month normal use (my documentation) the battery health degraded in such a short period.

Anyway, thank you again for your input.

i was told to continue documenting and reporting though there is apparently no solution as discussed several times with Apple Support. However I am proving this information to the community as there have bee.n others reporting same or similar batter issues albeit with other iPhone models.

Mar 13, 2021 6:17 PM in response to AKE1919

Well, you are correct that after every iOS update that has ever been released since September of 2007 there have been a flurry of posts from people convinced that the update MUST have been responsible for the decline in their battery life. But if that’s really true after what must be close to 100 updates over those 13 1/2 years battery life should be down to 5 minutes.

Mar 13, 2021 7:12 PM in response to AKE1919

Thank you for your reply.

I can only refer to and speak for my experience here. As I have documented, my updates are not 100 or more, they are detailed to several (my earlier post) with timelines and versions indicated, going back to when my phone was brand new with 100% battery health.

If others too are reporting the same or similar concerns, are we all wrong?

Mar 13, 2021 7:57 PM in response to AKE1919

It depends what you mean by “others”. There are over 1 billion iPhones in use. And probably half of them have updated to iOS 14.x. So no matter what problem you have just statistically there will be others with the same problem. That doesn’t make it a generic problem; it is a problem only for the few phones that have it. 7 years ago, when there were only 100 million iPhones there was a problem that affected a lot of them, specifically about 5%, or 5 million users. The thread about it had 13,000 posts and was 840 pages long (the longest thread ever in ASC) before Apple released a fix 2 weeks later. An equivalent issue today would have over 100,000 posts. When that thread appears it would probably indicate an iOS version problem. But absent that happening you will have to troubleshoot your local problem, which is not a version update problem.

My current XR is 2 years old. It’s battery life did not decrease with each of the dozen or so updates over its life. It has dropped gradually to 95%, but there was no update to update drop. And very few people who have no issues come to ASC to say that they have no issues.

iPhone SE battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.