Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stream videos to Apple TV 4K without Wifi

Hi,

Been searching the web for help to stream downloaded videos from my phone to Apple TV 4K. I want to use the Apple TV at my cabin without Internet.

I can mirror my phone and play videos from Photos app but not from Netflix, Disney+

Very dissapointing that this is a struggle to set up. «It just works» is something that is bygones?

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 6:02 AM

Apple TV is an internet streaming device. Not for offline. Netflix and Disney+ are internet streaming services. Downloads on mobile devices are allowed. But then streaming to a different device may not be. Netflix is known to actively block AirPlay (streaming or downloads). Not sure about Disney+ downloads.

«It just works» requires internet connectivity, because that is how it just works. Cable TV requires cable. Mobile phones require cell towers nearby. Electrical devices require a power grid. There is always a dependency, and you know that.

You could set up a personal hotspot on your phone, and let the Apple TV connect to that Wi-Fi. Note that the Apple TV will request a much higher quality stream than the mobile device would, resulting in much more data use (e.g. 20 Mbps = 9 GB/h). Depending on your mobile plan, you may burn through your monthly data cap in a few days. Even ‘Unlimited’ plans are not really unlimited. Check with your cellular service provider on what they allow, because they will monitor it.

The real solution is to bring internet to that location.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 6:02 AM in response to steffenfromoslo

Apple TV is an internet streaming device. Not for offline. Netflix and Disney+ are internet streaming services. Downloads on mobile devices are allowed. But then streaming to a different device may not be. Netflix is known to actively block AirPlay (streaming or downloads). Not sure about Disney+ downloads.

«It just works» requires internet connectivity, because that is how it just works. Cable TV requires cable. Mobile phones require cell towers nearby. Electrical devices require a power grid. There is always a dependency, and you know that.

You could set up a personal hotspot on your phone, and let the Apple TV connect to that Wi-Fi. Note that the Apple TV will request a much higher quality stream than the mobile device would, resulting in much more data use (e.g. 20 Mbps = 9 GB/h). Depending on your mobile plan, you may burn through your monthly data cap in a few days. Even ‘Unlimited’ plans are not really unlimited. Check with your cellular service provider on what they allow, because they will monitor it.

The real solution is to bring internet to that location.

Stream videos to Apple TV 4K without Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.