Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer Compatability with Mac

I am operating on Catalina 10.17.4 and my new HP printer started printing blanks. Worked with AppleCare, down loaded new drivers to no avail. Sending printer back and about to order a Canon when I read if you own a Mac do not order printer...........Can any one tell me what printer your using successfully?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 10:34 AM

You want a networkable printer that is listed as supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint driver support, so you are not dependent upon any printer vendor for ongoing driver support. Then you want a printer that does what you need it to do, within your purchase, and toner replacement budget. Everyone here has an opinion that may not meet these preceding criteria.

I happen to use a 1200 dpi capable, duplex, Samsung ML-2955ND monochrome laser printer with AirPrint on Big Sur 11.2.1 because its vendor driver support was done at High Sierra.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 10:34 AM in response to arleen177

You want a networkable printer that is listed as supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint driver support, so you are not dependent upon any printer vendor for ongoing driver support. Then you want a printer that does what you need it to do, within your purchase, and toner replacement budget. Everyone here has an opinion that may not meet these preceding criteria.

I happen to use a 1200 dpi capable, duplex, Samsung ML-2955ND monochrome laser printer with AirPrint on Big Sur 11.2.1 because its vendor driver support was done at High Sierra.

Feb 21, 2021 10:47 AM in response to arleen177

AirPrint and/or IPP/IPPS support is what you want any new printer to have.

That avoids the need for vendor drivers for most printing functions.

Wouldn’t select any printer that’s using what’s variously known as host-based rendering.

Always look at the consumables costs, nit just purchase price.

I typically use Brother printers, usually MFC-class.

Your printing needs may or will be very different.

Printer Compatability with Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.