Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to detect malware in safari

When opening safari on my MacBook Pro, it gets redirected to a non secure site other than my default browser page. I’ve cleared my history and cashe ... the problem still persists. Help please.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 1:22 PM

It is more the misadventure that tells you something is wrong than actually detecting the causal reason. Did you recently install any Safari extensions from outside of Apple's Mac App Store? Did you install any software recently from a site other than the original vendor site? Any of these could have introduced malware that is redirecting Safari to the other site.

I suggest that you download the free trial of Malwarebytes, quit Safari, and install Malwarebytes. Let it sweep for malware. That is what it is designed to do, and will show you if it found anything, and allow you to remove it. When you are done with Malwarebytes, you can keep it past its trial period and still use it for free, or you may choose to deinstall it from its Help menu.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 1:22 PM in response to HeyJude05

It is more the misadventure that tells you something is wrong than actually detecting the causal reason. Did you recently install any Safari extensions from outside of Apple's Mac App Store? Did you install any software recently from a site other than the original vendor site? Any of these could have introduced malware that is redirecting Safari to the other site.

I suggest that you download the free trial of Malwarebytes, quit Safari, and install Malwarebytes. Let it sweep for malware. That is what it is designed to do, and will show you if it found anything, and allow you to remove it. When you are done with Malwarebytes, you can keep it past its trial period and still use it for free, or you may choose to deinstall it from its Help menu.

Feb 21, 2021 4:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for this information. I did install chrome to my MacBook and also downloaded the Netflix party extension to it. That’s when I started noticing the changes. I downloaded malwarebytes and let it run, still no avail. I’m currently trying to wipe the drive clean and will reinstall macOS. Any other suggestions? Or factory restore instructions please?

Feb 21, 2021 6:59 PM in response to HeyJude05

HeyJude05 Said:

"How to detect malware in safari: When opening safari on my MacBook Pro, it gets redirected to a non secure site other than my default browser page. I’ve cleared my history and cashe ... the problem still persists. Help please."

-------

Boot into Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. Keep holding it down until you get to the login screen. Once at the login screen, log in as the same user. Once logged in, try Safari. Does Safari now work as intended?

About Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, damaged files (i.e. caches) are fixed, and third-party apps, are set aside.

How to detect malware in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.