Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Always Open With" Does Not Always Work

I've started running across an issue on my Mac in which PDF and JPG files, which I have set to open in Preview, sometimes don't open in preview unless I right click and choose "Open With."

It isn't all PDF and JPG files, but it is quite a few of them. Many of my PNG, PDF, and JPG files open just fine with preview by double clicking. But, there are many that don't.

If I right click and choose "Open With," the file opens just fine. But I have to do this every time.

If I right click and hold down Option to change it to "Always Open With" it'll open the file just fine, but once I close the file, it still doesn't open just by double-clicking.

I have two clues, but I'm still not sure what to do here:

There is a 1:1 correlation between the icons for the files showing the default Preview icon (vs a tiny version of the actual image) and the problem occurring. In all cases where the problem is occurring, the icon is the default. In all cases where the problem is not occurring, the icon is the tiny version of the actual image.

And, I've just discovered that I can't rename these files. They're not locked.

I'd thought it was perhaps a Spotlight thing, but not sure.

2019 MacBook Pro Running 11.2.1.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 1:43 PM

With any representative PDF or image file that you want opened via double-click in Preview, have you performed a Get Info, associated the Open with application to Preview, and then clicked through the associated Change All… button process?

For your Desktop, or Finder window view, have you pressed ⌘+j and selected Show Icon preview?

The renaming process should be a single-click on the file icon, press the return key, and the filename is selected, so you can edit it, and when done, you press return again. There is also a Rename… menu item on the secondary finder menu following a right-click on the file.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Andrew Flannery

With any representative PDF or image file that you want opened via double-click in Preview, have you performed a Get Info, associated the Open with application to Preview, and then clicked through the associated Change All… button process?

For your Desktop, or Finder window view, have you pressed ⌘+j and selected Show Icon preview?

The renaming process should be a single-click on the file icon, press the return key, and the filename is selected, so you can edit it, and when done, you press return again. There is also a Rename… menu item on the secondary finder menu following a right-click on the file.

"Always Open With" Does Not Always Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.