Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup to macbook

Have backed up iPhone 7 32gb to MacBook Pro, did not enter password. Now want to encrypt a new backup, am asked for old password in order to set new password. I did not set nor have knowledge of old password. Tried iPhone passcode, and apple id password to no avail. Tried to do unencrypted backup, and it will not let me without old password. I can reset the iPhone back to default, but am uncertain what may be lost. Ideas on how to proceed?

iPhone 7

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 6:02 AM

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also.

This means iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup, because by default it is checked.

Look for it in iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic below.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on number of attempts.

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 6:02 AM in response to tomtweeddale64

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also.

This means iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup, because by default it is checked.

Look for it in iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic below.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on number of attempts.

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

iPhone backup to macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.