Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring from iCloud

I am having difficulty synchronising my photos in iCloud with Photos on my Macbook Pro.

I have run the repair functionality, and now Photos tells me Restoring from iCloud, but it has been saying that for several hours now, yet there are only 32 photos to download.

In total I have showing 33066 photos & 309 videos in Photos and 33976 photos & 309 videos in iCloud plus "4 other elements" whatever they are.

The wifi is working and I am connected to the mains.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 4:17 PM

Hi

If you have done a repair, photos will run a complete resync with iCloud - not just new photos. It will compare everyting on your mac with everything in iCloud.

This may take some time. My 50GB 6000 photo library took around 48 hours. Based on your library size, you could be looking at 5 times that.

What does the status say at the bottom of the all photos view? Bear in mind that the status indication may not change for long periods of time during the sync (I don't mean minutes or hours - it might not change for a day or so).

Frustrating, but it is what it is. Don't be tempted to disable/reenable iCloud - that will also trigger a complete resync from the beginning. You just have to be patient.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 4:17 PM in response to Rouretan

Hi

If you have done a repair, photos will run a complete resync with iCloud - not just new photos. It will compare everyting on your mac with everything in iCloud.

This may take some time. My 50GB 6000 photo library took around 48 hours. Based on your library size, you could be looking at 5 times that.

What does the status say at the bottom of the all photos view? Bear in mind that the status indication may not change for long periods of time during the sync (I don't mean minutes or hours - it might not change for a day or so).

Frustrating, but it is what it is. Don't be tempted to disable/reenable iCloud - that will also trigger a complete resync from the beginning. You just have to be patient.

Restoring from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.