Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UnitHandlerd MALWARE ?? PLEASE help

SUDDENLY this window pane below.

Show in finder does not work.

File>find gave me 2 plists to delete.

I did, & restart, yet this pane remains.

Internet search yields:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz6HcwkUooo

which has been posted for only for a few hours.

After an innocent tutorial which doesn't help,

it sends us to a page to DOWNLOAD a disinfectant app.

I did not. Still would like to get rid of this message.

Anyone? Thanks

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:03 PM

This is where it gets to be tricky.

Boot in safe mode holding the shift key.

Then locate the files in the Finder you want to delete with Devon Technologies EasyFind

If that doesn't work, you may need to have a professional clean up your malware.

Malwarebytes might be able to detect it, so might Avast. But I wouldn't trust just anything.

A good professional also can boot off an external hard drive and locate the files from the internal drive that are causing the problem.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 1:03 PM in response to Steve Zavodny

This is where it gets to be tricky.

Boot in safe mode holding the shift key.

Then locate the files in the Finder you want to delete with Devon Technologies EasyFind

If that doesn't work, you may need to have a professional clean up your malware.

Malwarebytes might be able to detect it, so might Avast. But I wouldn't trust just anything.

A good professional also can boot off an external hard drive and locate the files from the internal drive that are causing the problem.

Feb 25, 2021 2:07 PM in response to a brody

"Malwarebytes might be able to detect it, so might Avast."

Malwarebytes collected my unithandlerd bytes and deleted them! GREAT! thanks

BUT:

Avast seemed promising, except it would not let me install in other location>utilities.

Then it would not open. Then parts were left when I deleted it. Finally a new Avast would

not install cuz the old one (deleted) was still running. Finally, this last part would not delete:

How do I get rid of this pleasE?

Feb 23, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Steve Zavodny

Steve Zavodny wrote:

hmm, I went to a back up disk and Etrecheck
doesn't seem to allow us to check on a disk
that is not the current start up. Inconvenient

You have to run EtreCheck on the boot drive. I'm not sure why you are getting that "Update Failed" message. Maybe you've disabled your internet or something?

There isn't too much to worry about here. You are getting this message because an Apple security update has disabled the malware. Unfortunately, Apple only disables the executable, not the launchd script that tries to run it. I've just submitted a bug report and I'm going to try to get the moderators' attention about this issue.

But my point is, you can boot your computer normally. That malware has been disabled. You'll still get the pop-up until you remove all the parts of the malware. You might also have other malware running too. You should remove all of it. You probably don't need any EtreCheckPro update. You can just click the "continue" button.

UnitHandlerd MALWARE ?? PLEASE help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.