Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam attempt from 81961 and (866) 275-****

This isn’t a question. I am just letting you know that if you get a message 81961, and it says “Your Apple ID verification code is… and show 6 random numbers, that is fake. I know that this is fake is because if you really need a verification code, you would get a full screen pop-up that says “Some one is trying to log into you Apple ID, and then show you a city and state like San Diego, California. Also, you are probably going to get a call from “Apple”. Make sure to let this phone call ring or just decline. Then, look at the number. If it is (866) 275-****, it is not Apple. As far as I know, Apple has no reason to call you. You only call them. If Apple does call you, there number is 800–692–****.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 2:46 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us. Here's a cutout from a article [Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support]

If you get a suspicious phone call or voicemail

Scammers may spoof legitimate company phone numbers and use flattery and threats to pressure you into giving them information, money, and even iTunes gift cards. If you get an unsolicited or suspicious phone call from someone claiming to be from Apple, just hang up.

You can report fraudulent tech support calls to the Federal Trade Commission (U.S. only) at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

I would recommend that you report the caller to the link above. I hope they get stopped.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 2:46 PM in response to TechJT

Thanks for sharing this with us. Here's a cutout from a article [Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support]

If you get a suspicious phone call or voicemail

Scammers may spoof legitimate company phone numbers and use flattery and threats to pressure you into giving them information, money, and even iTunes gift cards. If you get an unsolicited or suspicious phone call from someone claiming to be from Apple, just hang up.

You can report fraudulent tech support calls to the Federal Trade Commission (U.S. only) at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

I would recommend that you report the caller to the link above. I hope they get stopped.

Scam attempt from 81961 and (866) 275-****

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.