Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple kernel panics a day

My iMac has been shutting down 3-5x a day with kernel panic reports for over a year now. I have gone through the apple support and booted in safe mode, done a hard restart, run diagnostics, wiped the computer completely and reinstalled High Sierra OS to the same result. The problem happened with Yosemite and Sierra OS as well. Bringing it into an authorized repair shop ended with 'we could not replicate the problem and everything looks fine'.

Guess this is a last Hail Mary to see if anyone can help pinpoint this issue before moving on to a new computer. Here are the iMac specs and most recent panic report below.

21.5-inch Mid 2011

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 8:30 PM

6 replies

Feb 24, 2021 12:03 AM in response to JessicaO_o

Hi JessicaO_o,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for "EtreCheck."
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app; as it is on the Mac App Store, and only trusted apps can be submitted.
  3. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211 We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 25, 2021 12:46 PM in response to JessicaO_o

First determine if it was the RAM, the ONLY methods to do that is to remove the RAM you installed and run with the original RAM the computer shipped with. Test for about 3-4 days and if no KP's then you know for sure it's the RAM and to buy either macsales.com or crucial.com RAM.

Doing an EtreCheck report at this point would be that helpful at this point. If the KPs continue after using only the original RAM then yes, shoot us an EtreCheck report.

Feb 25, 2021 12:09 PM in response to JessicaO_o

The only RAM that I will use is from either Crucial.com or MacSales.com (OWC). Most of the experienced users here will agree. And only directly from the manufacturer's website, not Amazon or eBay or other outlets.

Also download the Etrecheck app directly from the developer's website as the version on the App Store had to be dumbed down a bit before it could be offered on the store. The link is: Etrecheck.

Multiple kernel panics a day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.