Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to make a slow 2012 mac book pro run faster

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 11:43 AM

First, the comments offered do not apply unless you have a NON-RETINA 2012 MBP. RAM cannot be upgraded in a Retina MBP and those already have a decently fast solid-state drive.

Second, there are non-hardware causes of "the slows." Anti-virus software, so-called "cleaning" apps, hacks, adware, torrent software. The Etrecheck report that HWTech wisely recommends will show conflicts and known-troublesome software.

If this is the non-Retina model: You can throw all the RAM you can afford at this and not see a significant improvement if it has its original mechanical hard drive. If you want an instant yet long-lasting increase in apparent speed, the SSD is the only way.

My old Engineering boss often said, "In God I trust; All others bring data!" So I bring data.

Here are some app launch times based on my upgrades of my Mid 2012 13-inch non-Retina MBP. The apps I tested were the slowest to open with the original mechanical hard drive:

Base system as shipped:

—4GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

First upgrade, doubling the RAM:

—8GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

Second upgrade, inexpensive solid-state drive

—8GB RAM and fast SATA 6GBps SSD: Office and Photoshop Elements take under 4 seconds to be ready to use.

The SSD transformed the computer from a pain to a pleasure to use.

NOTE: 16GB RAM can be achieved with newer, larger RAM modules that became available after Apple wrote the specs. Both OWC and Crucial sell tested 16GB kits for this model but that will NOT speed up the under-spec 5400RPM mech hard drive Apple fitted to the entry-level MBPs that year.

Mine has 8GB and Activity Monitor has never shown it as starved for RAM.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 11:43 AM in response to pestengyawa

First, the comments offered do not apply unless you have a NON-RETINA 2012 MBP. RAM cannot be upgraded in a Retina MBP and those already have a decently fast solid-state drive.

Second, there are non-hardware causes of "the slows." Anti-virus software, so-called "cleaning" apps, hacks, adware, torrent software. The Etrecheck report that HWTech wisely recommends will show conflicts and known-troublesome software.

If this is the non-Retina model: You can throw all the RAM you can afford at this and not see a significant improvement if it has its original mechanical hard drive. If you want an instant yet long-lasting increase in apparent speed, the SSD is the only way.

My old Engineering boss often said, "In God I trust; All others bring data!" So I bring data.

Here are some app launch times based on my upgrades of my Mid 2012 13-inch non-Retina MBP. The apps I tested were the slowest to open with the original mechanical hard drive:

Base system as shipped:

—4GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

First upgrade, doubling the RAM:

—8GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

Second upgrade, inexpensive solid-state drive

—8GB RAM and fast SATA 6GBps SSD: Office and Photoshop Elements take under 4 seconds to be ready to use.

The SSD transformed the computer from a pain to a pleasure to use.

NOTE: 16GB RAM can be achieved with newer, larger RAM modules that became available after Apple wrote the specs. Both OWC and Crucial sell tested 16GB kits for this model but that will NOT speed up the under-spec 5400RPM mech hard drive Apple fitted to the entry-level MBPs that year.

Mine has 8GB and Activity Monitor has never shown it as starved for RAM.

Feb 23, 2021 9:25 PM in response to pestengyawa

You may want to check for software issues as well by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The two most likely causes of a slow system are software issues and a worn out or failing hard drive.

As @kaz-k suggests upgrading a hard drive to an SSD can greatly improve system performance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.