Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i make my old 2010 Mac Pro run faster ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 5:14 AM

Your title says "Mac Pro" but the device tagged the post is a MacBook Pro 15".

I can't speak from experience on a Mac Pro, though a quick google search seems to imply you can upgrade the hardware.

I had a 2010 13" MacBook Pro that I upgraded the spinning hard disc drive to an SSD (solid state drive), as well as increased the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. I made those upgrades when it was about 4-5 years old, and it lasted me pretty well until 2017 when I had to retire it and buy a new one.

2010 is incredibly old (in tech terms) and there's only going to be so much you can do for it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend sinking any more money into it because any upgrades aren't going to give it that much more life for what you're going to spend.

In any event, do your research on what kind of RAM or SSD you should use for your specific device. Watch a lot of YouTube and check out sites like iFixit that go into a lot more detail.

Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 5:14 AM in response to stellamaris99

Your title says "Mac Pro" but the device tagged the post is a MacBook Pro 15".

I can't speak from experience on a Mac Pro, though a quick google search seems to imply you can upgrade the hardware.

I had a 2010 13" MacBook Pro that I upgraded the spinning hard disc drive to an SSD (solid state drive), as well as increased the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. I made those upgrades when it was about 4-5 years old, and it lasted me pretty well until 2017 when I had to retire it and buy a new one.

2010 is incredibly old (in tech terms) and there's only going to be so much you can do for it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend sinking any more money into it because any upgrades aren't going to give it that much more life for what you're going to spend.

In any event, do your research on what kind of RAM or SSD you should use for your specific device. Watch a lot of YouTube and check out sites like iFixit that go into a lot more detail.

Good luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.