Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail account not working - unable to verify account name or password

I've been using my Mac for 10years and have successfully used Mail (aol.com) for that time - the odd occasion when there have been delays but nothing significant. Three days ago, I got the message above when I was asked to enter my account name & password. I have tried everything that I've seen suggested - where I've been able to - including setting up a new Mac User account - nothing works. I know my email account is fine as I can use it on my iPhone and web browser. The Mac support line won't help me anymore as they say my Mac is too old but the only problem I have is with my email - my Mac is fine otherwise!

I am starting to doubt myself - perhaps in trying to solve it, have I tripped myself up?

Any help would be very gratefully received!

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 10:32 AM

Get an AOL App password for Mail...

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?

I also got this on 2-22-2021...

Hi BD, 

We noticed you've accessed your AOL email, calendar or contacts using a mobile app or computer program that isn't the AOL app, mail.aol.com or AOL Desktop Gold. We're emailing you because the security settings this app or program uses to connect to AOL may be out of date. You need to take action to continue using your AOL email without interruption. 

If you've already taken action, there's nothing else you need to do. If you haven't yet made changes, your action is required by June 1, 2021 to avoid interruption with your AOL Mail service. 

What's changing?

To help protect the security of your account, starting on June 1, 2021, AOL will stop allowing connections from some third-party apps and programs unless you take action. Examples of third-party desktop programs include Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail and Windows Mail, and third-party mobile apps include the iOS Mail app, Gmail app and Samsung Mail app, among others. 

What do I need to do?

You have 3 options to continue sending and receiving AOL email: 

Option 1. Use our free AOL app for iOS and Android to access your email, calendar and contacts, or use AOL webmail at mail.aol.com

Option 2. Remove your AOL account from your third-party app or program, then add it again. This will update the app or program's connection to your AOL account to meet our security requirements. Make sure you know your AOL password before removing and re-adding your account. If you can't remember your password, go here for help with resetting it. 

Use the links below to get help for common email clients and apps:

Option 3. Generate a unique app password that gives your third-party app or program permission to log in to your AOL account, then update your app or program settings to use this password. Go here to get step-by-step help with creating and using app passwords. 

Remember: If your third-party email app or program ever stops working, you can always access your AOL email, calendar and contacts using the AOL app or at mail.aol.com

Your account security is important to us. To get more help with making these updates, please visit our help page

Sincerely,

The AOL Team

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2021 10:32 AM in response to xMoonflowerx

Get an AOL App password for Mail...

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?

I also got this on 2-22-2021...

Hi BD, 

We noticed you've accessed your AOL email, calendar or contacts using a mobile app or computer program that isn't the AOL app, mail.aol.com or AOL Desktop Gold. We're emailing you because the security settings this app or program uses to connect to AOL may be out of date. You need to take action to continue using your AOL email without interruption. 

If you've already taken action, there's nothing else you need to do. If you haven't yet made changes, your action is required by June 1, 2021 to avoid interruption with your AOL Mail service. 

What's changing?

To help protect the security of your account, starting on June 1, 2021, AOL will stop allowing connections from some third-party apps and programs unless you take action. Examples of third-party desktop programs include Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail and Windows Mail, and third-party mobile apps include the iOS Mail app, Gmail app and Samsung Mail app, among others. 

What do I need to do?

You have 3 options to continue sending and receiving AOL email: 

Option 1. Use our free AOL app for iOS and Android to access your email, calendar and contacts, or use AOL webmail at mail.aol.com

Option 2. Remove your AOL account from your third-party app or program, then add it again. This will update the app or program's connection to your AOL account to meet our security requirements. Make sure you know your AOL password before removing and re-adding your account. If you can't remember your password, go here for help with resetting it. 

Use the links below to get help for common email clients and apps:

Option 3. Generate a unique app password that gives your third-party app or program permission to log in to your AOL account, then update your app or program settings to use this password. Go here to get step-by-step help with creating and using app passwords. 

Remember: If your third-party email app or program ever stops working, you can always access your AOL email, calendar and contacts using the AOL app or at mail.aol.com

Your account security is important to us. To get more help with making these updates, please visit our help page

Sincerely,

The AOL Team

Feb 24, 2021 11:12 AM in response to xMoonflowerx

I am going to assume that you do have internet access, and that it is working correctly. Here is my first question. Are you saying that you have confirmed that your account information and password are correctly entered and stored in your Mac Mail app? Then you should confirm that it is the same at the aol.com web site. Can you use your browser to access the aol.com web site successfully and then retrieve mail? Have you tried working with aol to resolve the problem? They should be willing to work with you as you are a customer. Most other vendors will do so. Maybe someone else will have something else to suggest.

Feb 25, 2021 6:45 AM in response to Ronasara

Hi,

I know that my email account (inc. password) is working as I use it with my iPhone and I have tried it successfully on a browser - I use it with the same account name and password that I use when Mac Mail asks to verify. I've come to the conclusion that it's the age of the operating system on my Mac that's stopping any connectivity between Mail & AOL, although I don't understand the timing as nothing has changed from my side. I've found information that states that AOL is fully compatible with OS X but 'basic' functionality may only be achieved with OS - I can only run OS on my Mac - so I need to get used to it! Thank you for trying to help 😀

Feb 25, 2021 11:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Wow - thank you so much, BDAqua⭐️ This worked for me!

It's strange as the way I use AOL security isn't as AOL suggest in their information about needing an extra password, but I was still able to get one. I had previously deleted my AOL account in a desperate attempt to re-install (which failed) but I have been able to re-install using the special app password. Hope it helps other people too!

Mail account not working - unable to verify account name or password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.