Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to wifi with NFC tag?

This question has been asked before but still not answered.

It's possible to send an email, send a text message (SMS), connect to a url and possibly other things I haven't tried but it's still not possible to connect to wifi with a NFC tag using a modern iPhone. Seems a strange gap in functionality especially as you can connect to wifi by pointing the camera at a QR code.

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 9:54 AM

Lack of clarity on my part - apologies.

Firstly, things I definitely CAN do on my iPhone (SE 2020). When I hold my iPhone next to an NFC tag holding email recipient, subject and message information, up pops the option to send an email with these details already completed; I do then have to click the send button. Similarly the phone can pick up the recipient details and message for SMS from an NFC tag and give me the option to send the message; I do then have to click the send button. Similarly the phone can pick up a url held on an NFS tag and give me the option to open Safari using that url. The same options are presented for all of these things if the relevant information is held in a QR code and I point the camera at the code.

But, and this was my query, if I point my phone's camera at a QR code holding a wifi network's SSID, passphrase, and encryption details, I'm presented with the option to connect to that wifi network - I've been using that facility for months - but if I hold my phone next to an NFC tag holding these same network details that option to connect doesn't pop up. I'm just wondering why hasn't this facility been implemented in ios 14?

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2021 9:54 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lack of clarity on my part - apologies.

Firstly, things I definitely CAN do on my iPhone (SE 2020). When I hold my iPhone next to an NFC tag holding email recipient, subject and message information, up pops the option to send an email with these details already completed; I do then have to click the send button. Similarly the phone can pick up the recipient details and message for SMS from an NFC tag and give me the option to send the message; I do then have to click the send button. Similarly the phone can pick up a url held on an NFS tag and give me the option to open Safari using that url. The same options are presented for all of these things if the relevant information is held in a QR code and I point the camera at the code.

But, and this was my query, if I point my phone's camera at a QR code holding a wifi network's SSID, passphrase, and encryption details, I'm presented with the option to connect to that wifi network - I've been using that facility for months - but if I hold my phone next to an NFC tag holding these same network details that option to connect doesn't pop up. I'm just wondering why hasn't this facility been implemented in ios 14?

May 4, 2021 1:58 PM in response to Kavan Sidhu

NFC finally works.

Download simply nfc.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simply-nfc-tag-writer-reader/id1262550712

Click the big circle that says READ NFC. Scan the NFC tag. Then say done. It will show results. Click on the line under results with your wifi name. Then it will auto connect to that wifi network.

And Tap2Wifi works also. I was not doing it right. Click the red circle with squiggly line and then scan the NFC tag. The it asks if you would like to join.

Jun 8, 2021 1:28 AM in response to UsuallyIgnored

Hello, I have the same problem. I travel a lot and stay in hotels. One day I came to a hotel with modern NFC buttons. I also just wanted to scan the NFC chip with my iPhone to connect to the hotel's WiFi. But there was a remark next to it. For Android only. Why that? We have modern iPhones and cannot easily connect contactlessly to a foreign WiFi network in times of Corona? Hello @Apple !!! We have Corana in the world a bad pandemic and you block this function? Another hotel guest had an old Samsung S7, he could easily connect to the hotel WiFi network with this NFC chip. And I can't do that with my newest iPhone? Please Apple enable this function! Best regards from Germany.

Jun 8, 2021 2:21 AM in response to Ververelis

A QR code does not make sense for public institutions. Because if the link changes, be it the menu or the WiFi network, I always have to generate a new QR code. Which is not so easy for older people or for people who are not so well versed in technology. Humanity just wants it, people just want to stick or swipe their phone like a credit card.

Mar 7, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Alancito

If I'm understanding @UsuallyIgnored correctly, it's more about simplicity. Sure you can setup a shortcut that triggers with NFC, which is definitely a solution on your personal device but what about guests? (Plus other situations like an Airbnb, so there can be a secure password without a bad review of an extremely long password)

I know I could share the shortcut with the guest and have them use it but wouldn't it be easier if it was natively supported on the phone? The hardware capability is already there with similar software capabilities present outside of NFC.

What I think the point of what @UsuallyIgnored is saying is, if it was natively supported in iOS, any guest could tap, have the phone ask if you want to connect to the wifi network, and be done with it, instead of having to go through a bunch of hoops for someone who might be easily confused, frustrated, or impatient with technology. Not to mention just down right extra convenient for those who already understand technology.

I've been hoping for this to come to iOS for quite a bit. I want to have a guest wifi on a different VLAN and not have to have my devices remember the password, or have to look up the password to share with guests. Just a tap and you're ready to go! Easier for me, and easier for the guest.

May 20, 2021 7:23 PM in response to ishkl

This actually worked!! only issue (that Apple ought to fix) is that the iPhone won't scan an NFC tag unless it's some kind of payment or public transit service, OR if you've already added the tag as a catalyst for some automation in the Shortcuts app. Ideally it would be amazing if anybody could just tap their phone to the tag without an app, and then be prompted to join the network, but this is the best solution I've seen so far!

I wrote to the NFC tag using an app called NFC Tools (https://apps.apple.com/au/app/nfc-tools/id1252962749), then using NFC TagInfo (https://apps.apple.com/au/app/nfc-taginfo-by-nxp/id1246143596), I used 'Scan & Launch' and it showed a prompt (image attached), after tapping 'join', it connected me to the network and loaded a webpage "captive.apple.com" which I think I've seen before when you use public wifi that you need to sign up to use (like Starbucks 'password of the day') and on the webpage it shows "success" in tiny letters.

and then bang, you're connected :D Thank you ishkl, this comment should be highlighted as Apple Recommended.

Apr 10, 2021 10:22 PM in response to UsuallyIgnored

Hi there, I also want to get this sorted.

I had the idea when I went to the Gallery of the Shortcuts app and found that you could turn your wifi network into a QR code. once scanned, you'll be prompted to join the network. (ignore the one comment in this threat saying you can't scan a QR code to connect to wifi networks...)

the only app I found with the most functionality when it comes to writing on NFC tags is NFC Tools (https://apps.apple.com/au/app/nfc-tools/id1252962749).

right toward the bottom, there's an option to "Configure a Wi-Fi Network" and I've tried every possible combination of Authentication (Open, WPA-Personal, Shared, WPA-Enterprise, WPA2- Enterprise, WPA2-Personal, WPA/WPA2-Personal) and Encryption (None, WEP, TKIP, AES, AES/TKIP), but when I scan the NFC Tag it just doesn't do anything. At the very least you'd expect a prompt like a pull tab from the top to acknowledge and approve the action, but nada.

For my own sanity, I tried scanning it with a friend's Samsung device and (feign surprise) a prompt was shown to join the network.

For now though, I'm choosing "Add email record" so it prompts the user to compose an email, and the body just contains the SSID and password. I'll explore App Clips as well because that might be promising? A nice little lightweight way to hopefully interact with NFC Tags.

I'm sending this as feedback as well because the whole Shortcuts, NFC, and 'deeper dive mentality' feels like an afterthought when it comes to cases like these. It would be phenomenal if we could create automations with NFC tags for more than just your own devices (if that makes sense?) because right now I need to create a shortcut, share it with all the family members and friends that have iPhones, and then set up automations for all of them to run that shortcut when the NFC tag is scanned.

Feb 24, 2021 8:48 AM in response to UsuallyIgnored

You CANNOT send an email, send a text message, or connect to a URL using NFC. And you can’’t connect to Wi-Fi by pointing the camera at a QR code either. All you can do with the camera and a QR code is open a web page.

The range of NFC is roughly 1.5 inches (4 cm). It’s called NEAR Field Communication, and the emphasis is on NEAR.

Connect to wifi with NFC tag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.