Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unblock a blocked plug-in to display PDFs

Hi!

I was trying to open a PDF in Safari direkt from a google result. But I was getting an error:

Blockiertes Plug-in

Screen shot:Website:

https://geoberuf.de/fileadmin/user_upload/bdg-media/04_veroeffentlichungen/bdg-mitteilungen/BDG_Mitteilungen_128.pdf

MacBook Pro 15" (late 2013)

Big Sur 11.2.1

Safari Version 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.4)

I'm not used to such problems on my Mac ... :-(

Cheers,

aao_scout

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 4:31 AM

Right-click on that PDF and choose to Download Linked File As… to your Desktop. It will open in the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and also in Apple's Preview via double-click. There is something about that PDF that is incompatible with Apple's Safari PDF plug-in. Firefox 86 will open that link as expected.

The PDF was created in 2017 by Adobe InDesign CS3 (Windows) using the Adobe PDF Library v8.0. It also appears to be a PDF/X-3 document.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2021 4:31 AM in response to aao_scout

Right-click on that PDF and choose to Download Linked File As… to your Desktop. It will open in the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and also in Apple's Preview via double-click. There is something about that PDF that is incompatible with Apple's Safari PDF plug-in. Firefox 86 will open that link as expected.

The PDF was created in 2017 by Adobe InDesign CS3 (Windows) using the Adobe PDF Library v8.0. It also appears to be a PDF/X-3 document.

Mar 5, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Sean Kane

You are welcome. I think the plug-in request had nothing to do with security, but how Apple's default PDF plug-in handles PDF documents, or in this case does not. There is a ton of internal XMP data in that PDF regarding all of the images it contains, and that may have derailed the Safari PDF plug-in too, if not the fact that it was a PDF/X-3 standard PDF.

How to unblock a blocked plug-in to display PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.