Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which external transistor microphone is recognized by the iMac?

Hi,

I have a late 2013 iMac 21.5. I know that most microphones on the iMac do not work. Is there any external microphone at all – other than the iPhone headset or AirPods? I would like to use a table microphone.

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 8:50 AM

USB mics should appear, when connected to a USB port in the following places, as they do on my iMac 2020 when I connected three different types of USB Mic

System Preferences / Sound:

Applications > Utilities > MIDI Audio Setup

Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report then click on the USB entry under Hardware:

Try the following two Apple procedures to see if it helps:

reset the PRAM/NVRAM

reset the SMC

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 8:50 AM in response to schimei

USB mics should appear, when connected to a USB port in the following places, as they do on my iMac 2020 when I connected three different types of USB Mic

System Preferences / Sound:

Applications > Utilities > MIDI Audio Setup

Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report then click on the USB entry under Hardware:

Try the following two Apple procedures to see if it helps:

reset the PRAM/NVRAM

reset the SMC

Feb 25, 2021 3:07 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you for your detailed research.

I have of course already tried different types of mics. I also know that all mics generally work on Macs - Macbook especially.

But these iMacs are a bit complicated. They don't have line inputs and outputs. USB-connected mics don't show up as selectable in System Preferences. Thats the reason why I phrased my question this way, asking for a specific type of mic that will surely work on this iMac. Maybe a bluetooth mic?

Which external transistor microphone is recognized by the iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.