Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2019 doesn't charge while sleeping

When I put my MacBook Pro 2019 16,1" to sleep connected to power with battery full charged 100%, next day morning when I wake it up the battery has drained between 5% - 10%... The amount of percent drained depends on what I have connected to usb c... in case I disconnect everything but power charger then only 5% is drained. I have checked all my System Preferences for unnecessary wake ups while sleeping, and I also have reset SMC...

Anyway, as far as I understand, the battery should not be drained if the charger is connected. So why is this happening.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 6:15 AM

Yesterday I reset the SMC again... following the exact same steps I followed last time described here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 for computers that have the T2 chip... and today when I wake it up the battery was 100% charged as expected... in fact I didn't disconnect anything from my usb c ports and didn't close any programs...

I presume I didn't reset properly SMC the first time... maybe I didn't wait for the exact amount of time between keys, the only thing I did different this time was to use a stopwatch to count seconds and not in my head.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 6:15 AM in response to luis9011

Yesterday I reset the SMC again... following the exact same steps I followed last time described here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 for computers that have the T2 chip... and today when I wake it up the battery was 100% charged as expected... in fact I didn't disconnect anything from my usb c ports and didn't close any programs...

I presume I didn't reset properly SMC the first time... maybe I didn't wait for the exact amount of time between keys, the only thing I did different this time was to use a stopwatch to count seconds and not in my head.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

Mar 1, 2021 9:33 AM in response to luis9011

luis9011,

Thanks for following up.

Let's continue diving into this unexpected battery drain further. You already mentioned you disconnected any additional peripherals from your Mac, which slightly improved the battery drain while the Mac sleeps, and you reset the SMC. All great steps.

-When you place the Mac in sleep, are you closing the lid or keeping it open?

-Are you leaving any programs up and running before placing the Mac in sleep? Or, do you quit all open apps? Test this out to see if it makes a difference as well, if you haven't already.

You mentioned checking System Preferences regarding sleep/wake options. To confirm, when you navigate to System Preferences > Energy Saver, do you have any of the following check marked: 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible', 'Wake for network access', 'Enable Power Nap', 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off'? Does it make a difference in battery performance when you check or uncheck those options? Change Energy Saver preferences on a Mac desktop computer

There are also a few other related articles which can provide some additional steps and guidance to assist with your Mac's battery performance. Check them out here: Get help with your Mac notebook battery and About battery health management in Mac notebooks

Cheers!

MacBook Pro 2019 doesn't charge while sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.