Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting projects with both .Mov and AVCHD files in iMovie 10.2.2

I recently accepted the 10.2.2 update to iMovie on Mac, but since then I don’t seem to be able to export projects containing more than one file type. As I use clips from different devices I could previously use both AVCHD (Sony camera) and .MOV (iPhone) in same project.

Now I get an export failure error relating to the ‘absolute frame’. When I check back in the project I can see the .MOV clips are now showing as blank (they didn’t when I was assembling the timeline however).

I do seem to be able to export projects containing just ONE file type Ok, tho. However my clips are split 50/50 between the different types. Any suggestions - or should I just go through the arduous task of converting half the files to match the others and re-add them to the project from there?

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 6:59 AM

If deleting preferences doesn't cure it, make a duplicate of your troublesome clips and convert the duplicates so that you preserve your originals. Try with a couple of test clips before going through all of them.

Sometimes mixing formats can be problematical, as can AVCHD files. Converting usually will resolve it.

Best of luck with this.

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 6:59 AM in response to NickBoo

If deleting preferences doesn't cure it, make a duplicate of your troublesome clips and convert the duplicates so that you preserve your originals. Try with a couple of test clips before going through all of them.

Sometimes mixing formats can be problematical, as can AVCHD files. Converting usually will resolve it.

Best of luck with this.

-- Rich

Feb 25, 2021 9:41 AM in response to NickBoo

The "absolute frame" error message should give you a frame number that indicates where the corruption is. If you scroll around in that area you might see a black frame or white flash or other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and see if you can export without receiving an error message. It might be just that one frame so you wouldn't need to convert a bunch of files.

Also, try deleting preferences, as sometimes that cures export problems. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Otherwise, you might need to convert the AVCHD (.mts) files to Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Feb 26, 2021 3:27 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for your options here. I’m familiar with the deletion of offending ‘blank’ clips with the Absolute frame error - but the problem was that each time I checked it would be different frames, ranging from a handful to all of the MOV clips (approx 200 of them). Obviously I wasn’t keen on removing all those - especially as sometimes some of them appeared fine. So it was quite random.

Eventually I got lucky and managed one export where all the frames behaved, admittedly only at 540p. As a worst case I can tolerate that, although I since went back and tried again at 720 and 1080 but no joy with those yet.

Pretty sure it’s either my Mac (ageing, slow) which isn’t loading the Mov frames quick enough upon opening the project, or as you say, Preferences. I will try that when I have a moment. Thank you for that tip.

And also thank you for the converter link. I’m comfortable doing that - but haven’t use one for a few years so good to get a recommendation from someone who knows their stuff. If Preferences doesn’t work, then for future projects I think I will pre-emptively convert files to same type before I begin editing.

And one day buy a new Mac 😉

Feb 27, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you.

I deleted Prefs last night. Initially, no change: I had 2 more Absolute Frame failures. But then I Restarted my Mac and relaunched iMovie. Straight off the bat I had 2 successful exports of the project - one at 720p and one at 1080p 🙌

Whether this has resolved fully, or whether this was just a rogue issue with the files in this particular project I now have all the exports I need from it, so thank you very much for all your help.

Regardless of whether this issue recurs, I’ll take your advice and will make a point of converting my clips to the same file type before beginning my edits in future. It seems like good practice, and ultimately saves time and stress.

Exporting projects with both .Mov and AVCHD files in iMovie 10.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.