Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo mail behaviour with os big sur

unable to send emails through Os mail program with Big Sur through Yahoo server. The emails stay in the outbox and are not sent

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 7:46 PM

Hey again, thanks for the info, if you’re sure the settings are correct, and there’s no type of software or firewall/networking software blocking the connection, my best guess would be the index is stuck for that account folder, etc. try this:

Backup your data, (Just as a precaution, I’ve never lost data by doing this, but still.....especially if you have any POP accounts, I’d highlight each > Mailbox > Export Mailbox just as a copy, IMAP account’s data are stored with the server).

Quit the Mail app.

open Finder.

While pressing “Option” on the keyboard, on the top menu hit > Go > Library > Mail > V8 > MailData.

Delete all the files beginning with Envelope Index.

Relaunch Mail while holding the Shift key.

Dont be alarmed, it’ll look as if it was your first time opening it, and will begin downloading your messages again in the app.

If you still have troubles, I’ve noticed that with Big Sur, and particularly with Mail, that sometimes privileges need to be applied to the ~/Library, I’m sure you won’t need to do that but let me know how it goes!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 7:46 PM in response to ace195809

Hey again, thanks for the info, if you’re sure the settings are correct, and there’s no type of software or firewall/networking software blocking the connection, my best guess would be the index is stuck for that account folder, etc. try this:

Backup your data, (Just as a precaution, I’ve never lost data by doing this, but still.....especially if you have any POP accounts, I’d highlight each > Mailbox > Export Mailbox just as a copy, IMAP account’s data are stored with the server).

Quit the Mail app.

open Finder.

While pressing “Option” on the keyboard, on the top menu hit > Go > Library > Mail > V8 > MailData.

Delete all the files beginning with Envelope Index.

Relaunch Mail while holding the Shift key.

Dont be alarmed, it’ll look as if it was your first time opening it, and will begin downloading your messages again in the app.

If you still have troubles, I’ve noticed that with Big Sur, and particularly with Mail, that sometimes privileges need to be applied to the ~/Library, I’m sure you won’t need to do that but let me know how it goes!

Feb 28, 2021 11:24 PM in response to ace195809

Hey again! Yes seems stubborn for sure, if it’s an issue with sending from one account only, that makes it more difficult to find a cause. I have seen one stuck email in an outbox or trash, or stuck in limbo somewhere jam the system up, to where removing it from the server (Web site) fixes it, but that may not be the case here.

To confirm, you did delete/re-add the account?

Likewise, if you Quit Mail, and re-open while holding the Shift key, (Prevents previously opened windows from opening automatically), does the same issue occur?

I’m assuming the same would happen on another network, but I have been suprised before on network behavior, maybe a good step too.

So if this still happens, although adware may be more prone to affect more accounts, can you see if there is a proxy such as (SOCKS) enabled in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies?

If so, disable > Done > Apply (To apply the changes). If not:

To be sure it’s not related to other software installed, can you startup in safe mode and test it out?

Safe Mode:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

(Different process for newer Mac models).

Otherwise, if the same happens in safe mode, it maybe a good idea to test in a new admin user, you can create one in System Preferences > Users and Groups > “+” > Administrator, just give it an generic name, can delete afterwards.

If it works just fine there, my suspicion would be that some permissions in your user folder need to be reset/repaired, unless there are specific files in your user library interfering with the server. Let me know how it goes!

Feb 26, 2021 7:22 AM in response to DiZoE

-bottom left corner "Sending Message" (44Kb message) is displayed and progress bar moves very slowly, after 15 minutes the same display shows "connecting..." and stays stuck.

• Other email accounts are working normally.
  • Receiving is working normally.
  • Internet connection is fast and signal is strong Apps working normally.
  • Unable to identifie a specific event Big Sur is updated regularly, presently running 11.2.2
  • Yahoo account working normally with iPhone 6s iOS 14.4 and iPad iOS 14.4.
  • already have been in contact with Yahoo support, manually configured account settings, incoming (IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) without success.

Thank you for your time.

Feb 25, 2021 11:08 PM in response to ace195809

Hey there!

In the Mail app, on the bottom of the left column, is it stuck “Sending soandso messages”, and doesn’t progress?

That May have a more specific fix.

Otherwise, does an error message pop up regarding the server or asking for your credentials?

That may help with an answer.

Other questions maybe:

If you have other email accounts, are they working just fine?

Are you able to receive just fine?

Are other apps using the internet working just fine? (Such as Safari and the App Store)?

Did this all start after any particular event? (Such as an update or software download or even internet provider change or move, at a change to your email account itself)?

Are other devices working okay with the same account?

Does the same happen on another network?

Thanks! Several solutions come to mind:

Malware possibly

A Keychain conflict

A permissions conflict

A possible change with the email provider or account that requires acknowledgment by you. (Such as having to create an app specific password to use Apple Mail with that account, or updating the server settings).

Sometimes just removing the account and adding it again is a simple and effective step, just make sure it’s an IMAP account and keep a backup anyway, (Just good practice).

But if it’s cause by other issues, some mentioned above, those answers may shed some light on a possible solutions, cheers!

Yahoo mail behaviour with os big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.